NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 16th, 2009, 16:41
stephenspann27 stephenspann27 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: College Station, Tx
Posts: 1,032
To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

After owning my '87 D44 AW4 NP231 4.0 for a year, I finally have it road worthy, it has brand new paint, perfectly straight body, and I've rebuilt the engine, save the pistons and rings. Since then I've logged about 600 miles, and much to my surprise I'm getting 20mpg. It runs awesome.. other than erratic idle.. which I haven't made much effort to track down yet.

I had planned on taking the 3'' (or so) lift off my parts jeep, and transferring it to my '87. Its a real lift.. no blocks or spacers. However.. now that I see I can get 20mpg.. I'm planning on making my XJ my DD. Because I don't want to risk hurting the mileage I don't want to go up on tire size much. I may stick with 235's.. and certainly not bigger than 30'' tires. So if I'm not going to run tires big enough to warrant a lift? Why install it? I know its probably slight.. but a lift could also hurt the MPG.. and also create complications with alignment.. death wobble ect. I realize all of these problems can be over come.. with adjustable track bars.. maybe make up the MPG with a gear ratio change.. but that's a lot of time and money..

I'm think about just installing lockers front and rear (or LSD in the rear) and some midly aggressive AT tires that are not too loud..

thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 16th, 2009, 16:45
nmcommando nmcommando is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 100
Re: To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

Well i have 3.5" of lift and i was getting 20 mpg and sometimes better but now i'm only getting 14 but i think it has to do with a bad O2 sensor because it has been giving me the code and lots of other little problems that have come up but yes 20 mpg can happen with 31's and no other mods
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 16th, 2009, 16:51
tbburg's Avatar
tbburg tbburg is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 5,839
Re: To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

30" tires don't require any lift unless you're wheeling it hard. If you're DDing it, throw the 30s on it and drive. I say leave it down.

If you're going with a LS, the Truetrac is about the best one out there.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 16th, 2009, 17:15
joe_peters joe_peters is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Grants Pass, OryGun
Posts: 13,746
Re: To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenspann27 View Post
After owning my '87 D44 AW4 NP231 4.0 for a year, I finally have it road worthy, it has brand new paint, perfectly straight body, and I've rebuilt the engine, save the pistons and rings. Since then I've logged about 600 miles, and much to my surprise I'm getting 20mpg. It runs awesome.. other than erratic idle.. which I haven't made much effort to track down yet.

I had planned on taking the 3'' (or so) lift off my parts jeep, and transferring it to my '87. Its a real lift.. no blocks or spacers. However.. now that I see I can get 20mpg.. I'm planning on making my XJ my DD. Because I don't want to risk hurting the mileage I don't want to go up on tire size much. I may stick with 235's.. and certainly not bigger than 30'' tires. So if I'm not going to run tires big enough to warrant a lift? Why install it? I know its probably slight.. but a lift could also hurt the MPG.. and also create complications with alignment.. death wobble ect. I realize all of these problems can be over come.. with adjustable track bars.. maybe make up the MPG with a gear ratio change.. but that's a lot of time and money..

I'm think about just installing lockers front and rear (or LSD in the rear) and some midly aggressive AT tires that are not too loud..

thoughts?
Links to three-part JPMagazine article on XJ mileage:

MPG:


http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbui...eep/index.html


http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbui...t_2/index.html


http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbui...ter/index.html
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 16th, 2009, 17:30
xcm xcm is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: LAX
Posts: 8,538
Re: To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

if you have to ask, dont lift it....

=\
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 16th, 2009, 17:36
stumpXJ stumpXJ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 2,823
Re: To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

For what its worth, I have a friend of mine in Germany (he may chime in here) when we were over there, and we both installed front aussie lockers in our jeeps at roughly the same time. Here is the kicker:

I have a full 6.5" clayton longarm suspension, Bilistein shocks, 33" TruXus MT's, Tom Woods shafts, SYE, yadda yadda yadda the whole nine. I spent 5 grand on my suspension, wheels and tires all at one time.

He has a locker and some, at the time, crappy AT OEM sized tires. Thats it. Bone stock otherwise.

We wheeled together on a number of occasions and he went 95% of the places I did. It was truly impressive. He had to use the skinny pedal a little more due to non agressive tires, and less clearance, but he went where I did with no failures.

My point? There is a lot to be said for a stock Jeep with a locker and decent tires if you pick the right lines. Sure, you wont be running many 4 or 5 rated trails, but you can certainly enjoy your jeep offroad, and still reep the benefits of being mostly stock (gas mileage, les part failures, etc). Once you learn the limits of what you can do, its all about picking and choosing your line, based on your and your jeep abilities.

I wouldnt change anything I did to my jeep (except for maybe the sucky a** TruXus tires), but you can do a lot with a little in a jeep.

[If I were you, and im not] I would throw on some agressive 29"-30" tires, lock the front, and wheel the hell out of it. Then when you are done, enjoy the nice ride back home @ 20mpg. You wont be disapointed.

If you get the bug to go bigger, do it right, and all the way the first time, or else you are wasting money on 2 and 3 inch lifts.

Just my $.02

~James
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 16th, 2009, 18:50
stephenspann27 stephenspann27 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: College Station, Tx
Posts: 1,032
Re: To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

I appreciate all of the replies. Some good insight. At the risk of sounded like a moron.. coming from a sports car back ground, I sometimes take corners pretty aggressively.
I've been really amazed at how little body roll my XJ has, esp. with 260k on the suspension.If I were to lift it, it would get the jeep's weight higher in the air and possibly cause it to have more body roll. I realize that sometimes the aftermarket leaves, and coils are so much stiffer than the OEM that there isn't any extra body roll... but I have no idea what grade of lift is on the parts jeep. Just another factors I've been thinking about..

Maybe I'll run it stock until the rear leaf's start giving up.. or snap..

Last edited by stephenspann27; October 16th, 2009 at 18:55.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 16th, 2009, 19:20
XJPhoenix XJPhoenix is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 572
Re: To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

This was the very same dilemma I faced with my 1992 Limited. It gets good milage, it's in good shape, it's comfy and everything works! I fretted and fussed over what to do... Lift it? Trim it? Go all-out, or leave it as stock as possible?

I left it stock and bought a YJ to beat on.

*ducks*
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 16th, 2009, 19:25
winkosmosis's Avatar
winkosmosis winkosmosis is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Posts: 1,429
Re: To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

I thought 8" lifts were mandatory in College Station
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 16th, 2009, 19:27
winkosmosis's Avatar
winkosmosis winkosmosis is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Posts: 1,429
Re: To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

I can't comment on the gas mileage because I didn't get any good measurements before lifting and putting bigger tires on. Now I get 16-17 average though.

But I do take corners fast, with my 2" OME light duty springs, and sway bars front and rear. Sometimes I forget I'm driving the Jeep and not the Miata until it feels like it's going to be too late... But it gets through fine. It's kind of fun hearing the tires squeeling on a lifted Jeep.... until you flip
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 16th, 2009, 19:28
xcm xcm is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: LAX
Posts: 8,538
Re: To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

its not 100% about looks, but looks are important. stock cherokees dont do it for me.

do they do it for you?
why dont you drop it a couple inches below stock??
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 16th, 2009, 19:30
scully scully is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ma/nh border
Posts: 2,107
Re: To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old October 16th, 2009, 19:50
stephenspann27 stephenspann27 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: College Station, Tx
Posts: 1,032
Re: To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I can't comment on the gas mileage because I didn't get any good measurements before lifting and putting bigger tires on. Now I get 16-17 average though.

But I do take corners fast, with my 2" OME light duty springs, and sway bars front and rear. Sometimes I forget I'm driving the Jeep and not the Miata until it feels like it's going to be too late... But it gets through fine. It's kind of fun hearing the tires squeeling on a lifted Jeep.... until you flip
what size tires are you running? Yr model? auto or man?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 16th, 2009, 19:52
stephenspann27 stephenspann27 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: College Station, Tx
Posts: 1,032
Re: To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcm View Post
its not 100% about looks, but looks are important. stock cherokees dont do it for me.

do they do it for you?
why dont you drop it a couple inches below stock??
I do like the lifted look... about 4.5'' of lift.. however, the squatty stock looks has its own quality..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 16th, 2009, 20:38
vegas_baja's Avatar
vegas_baja vegas_baja is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: las vegas
Posts: 411
Re: To lift, or not to lift? That is the question...

Sell your 3" lift, get a budget boost, throw on some 30" tires, put a locker in the rear and call it a day.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
to lift or not to lift that is the question dogsled1 Modified Tech Discussion 4 February 13th, 2009 19:47
lift kit question FL. 2001 XJ Modified Tech Discussion 6 December 5th, 2008 07:43
Lift question (Similar to Dakota lift) zfinger Modified Tech Discussion 8 May 1st, 2006 22:59
Lift question? Marrokstrader Modified Tech Discussion 3 September 13th, 2004 18:29
year specific lift question, '95 xj, 3" lift redxjjoe Modified Tech Discussion 5 March 9th, 2004 16:18


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014