• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start - fuel pump woes

JeffsJeep04

NAXJA Forum User
1998 classic 4.0/aw4

Jeeps been giving me a fit and has me completely stumped. Had alternator issues that were giving me drivability problems. Got that sorted out. Now a few weeks later it started running really rough and stalled. Waited a minute, it fired but didn't want to idle. Feathered the throttle until it'd run, got where I was going and let it sit. Went to leave, shifting from reverse to drive it died and wouldn't restart. Came back the next day and it fired right up and drove home no problems. Replaced the CPS and it started but ran rough. Cleaned the IAC. Nothing. New TPS and ECM. Nothing. I'm getting no fuel pump prime and have no fuel at the rail. I hate throwing parts at it and being a guess and check mechanic, but I've gotta get this thing running NOW.

Fuel pump relay has bat voltage at pin 30 and around .5 volts on pin 87 if I remember right. If I pull the relay and re-install with the key on I get no click. Swapping around relays gets nothing. Completely stumped.

edit:starts and runs on throttle body cleaner, so good spark. CPS is doing its job.

Last edited:
Might be the common problem of the little hose from the pump to the metal outlet. I have seen quite a few of these. Pull the pump assembly and take a look before dropping a ton of coin on a new one.

As a check before pulling the assy, go back by the tank and have someone turn on the key. If you can hear the pump running, that is most likely the problem. If you hear nothing, it is probably a bad pump.

Back