• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Valley....

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
So last night at the M&G, I overheard some folks talking about what a great spring it's going to be this year in D.V. due to all the rains.

I tried to get something going last fall to no avail.

So who's up for this??

I have at least 2 friends that would be interested in going.

I'm also on Expedition Portal a lot, and I'm sure there's more than a few folks over there that would be interested.

I will be there

Okay, I'm in the process of contacting some people over at Expo....

DeathValleyPaul, would you be willing to help with your input on logistics? I've never been to Death Valley and I just want to make sure we don't try to fit too much into one day.

Depending on when, and for how long, I might be able to pull it off...

Okay..... Let's try and make this official......

I have just posted over at the EXPO site.

The drive will be in April, but I would like input as to dates.

I'm open for anything, midweek, weekend, whatever.

I'm thinking minimum 3 days, and probably no more than 5.

For my kids April 2-9 is spring break.

Give me your ideas........

Last edited:
NAXJA SoCal Fest in Big Bear is 4/23-4/25, so hopefully not that weekend!

im down for the 2-9
and what is this expo site

Expedition Portal..... It's a different form of off-roading from what most of the rock crawling crowds like to do... It's more about off-road, vehicle dependant travel. Here on NAXJA it's called the Adventure forum .

If you want to get into the Ca. forum you have to register, but registration is free....

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php

My wife has expressed interest in going. If I go I will probably bring the super duty though.

my girl and i may be interested, i typically have a 3 day weekend so weekends are good for me. i've ran a few trails in death valley, like nightmare gulch,last chance canyon, ballarat area near trona down goler wash up by charles manson cabin and mengel pass, jawbone canyon. but were always willing to explore new area's

Hmm... whats it like there? would like to bring my kid if possible.

all the trails i've ran, i ran with 235/75/15's and 4" of lift, the trails arent demanding unless you want them to be. i dont think it would be a problem bringing your kid with you. unless the people planning the trip have something challenging in mind.

i dont know where they want to go but they have a trail up by ep15 which is the corner of 395/ca14 area which has a long(walking) tunnel called burro schmidt tunnel which is cool to see, it goes like a 1/2 mile into the mountain Y's off at the end of 1 tunnel, goes to a dead end then out another side on the other. theirs also bickel camp which is kinda cool if you like seeing that sorta thing. they have talc mines out there in the ep15 area, there's like 20+ different tunnels you can exit out of. theres a old 1 room post office you can sleep in, there are a few different cabins scattered thru the area that are available to camp in. some are creepy some are acceptable.

and if your running low on gas, there's gas stations about 15 miles in inyo kern.

my girl and i may be interested, i typically have a 3 day weekend so weekends are good for me. i've ran a few trails in death valley, like nightmare gulch,last chance canyon, ballarat area near trona down goler wash up by charles manson cabin and mengel pass, jawbone canyon. but were always willing to explore new area's

Uh... none of those trails are in Death Valley. The ones you just mentioned start in Panamint Valley and never reach Death Valley.

i dont know where they want to go but they have a trail up by ep15 which is the corner of 395/ca14 area which has a long(walking) tunnel called burro schmidt tunnel which is cool to see, it goes like a 1/2 mile into the mountain Y's off at the end of 1 tunnel, goes to a dead end then out another side on the other. theirs also bickel camp which is kinda cool if you like seeing that sorta thing. they have talc mines out there in the ep15 area, there's like 20+ different tunnels you can exit out of. theres a old 1 room post office you can sleep in, there are a few different cabins scattered thru the area that are available to camp in. some are creepy some are acceptable.

Good places to visit. I've been to all of those more than once, but they aren't close to Death Valley. Hell, they're not even close to Panamint Valley.

Uh... none of those trails are in Death Valley. The ones you just mentioned start in Panamint Valley and never reach Death Valley.

Goler Wash is the entrance to D.V. on the west side and I'm thinking that's where I'll start.

Tentatively meeting in Ballarat to begin the adventure......

Back