• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Antifreeze all over the ground...

Tenny

NAXJA Forum User
So tomorrow I am supposed to be going camping, and I wake up this morning to start packing, and I go to the jeep, and I notice a lot of liquid under the front, at first I thought nothing of it, becasue it's usually dew that has dripped onto the ground, as I see my dog run through it, I quickly realize it's something else, so I put my dog inside, and inspect a bit more. (Threw sand on the coolant too)

I cannot find the source of the leak, but it appears to be around the over-flow bottle. The Overflow was just about 1 cm over the "full" line. I checked the radiator and it had fluid up to the top. I turned it on for roughly 15 minutes but couldn't get it hot enough (A/C on, revving etc) to get it to 210... I saw no fluid come out at all...

I drove the jeep last night to get firewood / fuel, and ~ an hour after driving it, I was still out there, and didn't notice anything on the ground, maybe it was leaking by then, but if so it wasn't enough for me to notice. It did get pretty hot yesterday though, a tad over 210.

So right now I removed the overflow, drained it into a container to recycle, and I have the overflow filled with water on cardboard to see if it leaks... but I am trying to think of any other possible ideas... Oh and it's been about 10 minutes, and no water is leaking out of it... so I am doubting that is where it came from.

Any other ideas?

1994 Jeep Cherokee
-New Radiator ~ 2 months old (CSF 3-Core)
-New Hose to Over-flow ~ 2 months old
-New Water Pump ~ 1 year
-New High-Flow Thermostat Housing ~ 2 years old
-New Thermostat (180) ~ 2 years old
-New Upper/Lower Hoses ~ 2 Years (The guy was supposed to put new ones in but they were out and just decided to give it back to me w/o new ones...)

Last edited:
Try turning the heat on and see if the heater control valve is leaking. On the 94 it is probably plastic and they tend to crack. If that is the case you can route it out of the system. It is not needed and you can just run straight hose from the engine to the heater core.

Alright turning on the heater didn't seem to do anything... I am going to take it out for a extended spin, and see if I can replicate it..

I had this similar problem. Ends up that it was leaking at both nipples to the attached hoses. The nipples were actually cracked and coming away from the tank. It didn't do it all the time either. Pull off your hoses and really inspect the tank where the main body meets the hose nipples.

Yes, I realize I said "nipple" 3 times.

BruceB83 said:
I had this similar problem. Ends up that it was leaking at both nipples to the attached hoses. The nipples were actually cracked and coming away from the tank. It didn't do it all the time either. Pull off your hoses and really inspect the tank where the main body meets the hose nipples.

Yes, I realize I said "nipple" 3 times.
Hmm, well the one hose that runs by where it looks to be coming out of, looked pretty good, but it was the smaller hose going to the overflow. I put a new hose clamp on it though.

It seems to be doing pretty good.. I drove it for about an hour (running errands) and then brought it back, and no leaking, it's been back for about 2-3 hours now and no leaking still.

Ratfink56: Nope, the dog didn't get the chance... I washed the ball off that rolled into it, with soap / water almost instantly... but I decided to throw it away, not worth the chance...

Back