• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crap antifreeze where it shouldn't be

87jeepster

NAXJA Forum User
Help...4.0 rebuilt about 1600 miles on it. Antifreeze very very slowly leaking out # 12 ehaust manifold bolt per service manuel torque sequence. The #12 exhaust manifold bolt is the one under the thermostat housing. What would cause antifreeze to come out this darn bolt???

Thanks I was afraid I had a minor crack in the head there though I knew for the first 1600 miles it didn't loose any anifreeze.

Would the seal cause pressure to push it out this bolt? I was thinking a crack in the head maybe since I think behind this bolt is a water passage to the thermostat housing tried some thread seal which slowed it down but hasn't stopped it. Am I going in the wrong direction with the crack theroy?

The bolt hole does not go all the way through. So IF indeed it is coming out the hole, then you have a crack. However, I believe that it is probably coming from somewhere else and just traveling down to the bolt.
Take the bolt out and seal it with a lot of hi-temp locktite. If the leaking stops, then there is a crack into the bolt hole.

I will try and seal it. I have been constantly watching the oil to make sure I don't have any antifreeze in it and so if the crack is somewhere in the head it must be in an area that dosen't allow it to get to my oil.

Back