• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra chapter runs this year

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Since I am now the offical NAXJA run chairman, it is my duty :wink: to check in and see what you all have planned for this year. :)

I'd like to work towards the chapters setting up regular quarterly runs, with dates and destinations set far enough in advance so we can post them on a NAXJA event calendar. It shouldn't be hard to set up a run, either a day or a weekend, just once a quarter, and it would provide some consistant activity for the chapter. What do you think? Officers?

Do you want to do Swamp Lake as a Sierra Chapter run again this year? I'm going to do it Aug 1-3, and we've been rotating each year between one night at the lake and then running Bald Mtn on Sunday, and two nights camping at the lake. Last year we did Bald Mt, so this year we'll camp two nights at the lake, Fri and Sat nights. This makes for a very relaxing trip, with plenty of time to play in the lake and do some short hikes. How does that sound?

I know many of you can run Rubicon almost any weekend in the summer, but what have you thought about a Sierra chapter Rubicon trip? I might be up for a trip in late June.

Richard G

Special Request

Unless I get deployed I should be able to enjoy most of the events planned for this summer. Otherwise, if possible, not to have [u:5865680c5c]all[/u:5865680c5c] of the events be scheduled on the first weekend of the month. This is usually my scheduled drill weekend. The only exception would be if there is a federal holiday, like 4th July, then my drill will be on the following weekend. I request this for myself and any other NAXJA Guard or Reserves members. Unfortunately not all Reserve functions have the same schedule.

I understand that I or any of us will be able to make it to all events. Of course this is why we schedule small weekend runs inbetween the big events.

Thanks for reading,

Chuck

Swamp sounds like a go again, I had a ton of fun last year.
Late June on the 'con would work if I can rally the resident slackers to commit to a date. I don't want to set a date, have everyone flake on me and leave me to do it all.
So how about it?

Jes

I am up for both, As far as Swamp, I really liked the trail but are there others that are as challenging or more, It might be fun to go to the same area but do some other trails. That lake sure was nice though.

The problem with Fordyce Creek Trail is it's hit and miss weather or not the stream crossings are doable. When Andy, Jack, Gary, and I went in August the water was to my hood through the first two crossings.

Jes

Keven, I don't think a week long deal is viable this year because most that would like to attend are already going to BOTW and/or Moab.
I think a three day Rubicon run would be the best bet.

Jes

Here's what I'm thinking, FWIW. Since we have the 20th Anniversary Celebration this year, and it's going to be a VERY fun time, it's hard to plan another week long trip. I think next year there should be a week long Rubicon/Barrett and/or Fordyce NAXJA trip, so others from out of the area can come and run the 'Con. I'd plan on making that trip if we did it. I also think that since the Rubicon is in the Sierra chapter's backyard, there should be an official Sierra chapter Rubicon trip every summer. This should be on the NAXJA event calendar so others can plan to go if they want to. I know many of you would run Rubicon a number of times each summer, but there should be at least one planned trip, probably a Fri-Sun or Thurs-Sun run.

But, I'd also like to get back to this idea of the chapter adopting the practice of planning a club run once a quarter. Some of us just get with some friends and go do a run, but others are either new to the sport, just getting started building their rig, or don't know much about the trails in the area. Since we're a club, and we want to both provide something for our members, and give new people something to get involved in, I think having regularly scheduled runs would be a good thing for the club. A day or a weekend trip can easily be planned once a quarter, and put on the event schedule. These would be informal runs, not full blown events, and could be anything, just so long as they're planned and announced in advance. The chapter officers could plan where to go and when, it doesn't need to be a big group decision that can get bogged down with too many options. More comments........?

Richard G

I agree, it seems like last year we were doing pretty good at a once a month thing, but its hard to get good weekends for everybody. We will never find a weekend that will work for everybody so we just need to put dates on the calender. Just some ideas but perhaps we should have the officers adopt one of the 4 for organizational purposes. We could have a rubicon run, a snow run, a Hollister or other play area run, and another local trail run such as fordyce, hell hole, snake lake, barret, rescue or where ever. The Rubicon is the only no brainer one but for the other three the adopted officer can post a poll on this sight to see what area most would prefer. and then perhaps a poll with a choice of 2-3 weekends that their run could be held.

I don't think much will be done before specific individuals get a specific obligation.

I think the duties of the adoptive quarterly trail leaders could be some of the following

Organize and tally polls for location.

Organize and tally polls for date

provide maps of the area and map of how to get there. (something simple maybe even just mapquest or yahoo maps) directions from the bay area or sacramento. The map could have other info such as some contact info or what channel the CB will be on.

Make sure there is a trail leader, in the case that the organizer can't make it.

provide a list of minimum vehicle requirements.

Any of the above points could be discused on the forum, like the minimum vehicle requirements.

Sounds like we need volunteers

I'll start off then and volunteer for Dusy/Ershim. Once I get approximate times when it is open, I'll follow Gary's suggestion and provide the needed information.

I think once a month is better, as my previous post there are dates that just won't work for me. Whether it turns out to be a small event or a huge one we all have the opportunity to participate. Everyone has the chance to plan for what they can do.

Thanks Richard for starting this process so early. If we don't get the calender full now then some of us will be scrambling for people to go on a runs later on. Some people have trouble making friends. :)

This is what we've done in the past. This is just a place to start. :wink:

Jan - Winter Fun Festival
Feb - Morman Emigrant Trail
Mar - Usall Trail?
Apr - Red Bluff area?
May - Hollister?
Jun - Highlanders poker run (Kyburz) + Snake Lake?
Jul - Rubicon, Barrett or Fordyce
Aug - Same as above + Swamp Lake
Sep - Hell Hole
Oct - ????????????
Nov - BOTW + ?????????
Dec - Toy Run, Snow runs + ??????????

I'd also like to see alternate runs planned for those who can't do the extreme/difficult trails.

most of those are alternate runs except for jun and jul! all the rest anyone can run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep in mind that I'm not suggesting only a run once every three months. You will always be putting together various trips, but I think it would be helpful to have a commitment to AT LEAST a chapter run once a quarter that will be on the calender and peole have the opprtunity to plan ahead for it.

Richard G

O.K.

Swamp OHV route August 1-3rd.
I could help lead a Rubicon Jeep trail run June 27-29th, no jamborees that weekend. The guy who I'd like to help me with that is in sunny Hawaii right now so I'll have to talk to him about it when he gets back.

Jes

Swamp OHV

Swamp OHV

Is it possible to change the date to the following weekend. Like the 8-10. I really had a good time last year. I would hate to miss a trip when all of Sierra Chapter is in my backyard. It's cool to hear my friends and family talk about all the caravan lifted Cherokee's driving up and down 180/168. If it can't be changed then I understand :( . I'll just make sure to hit the Rubicon on 27-29 June. :) Or plan that Dusy/Ershim trip like I mentioned.

Chuck

Alright, looks like the Rubicon run(or one of them at least :wink: ) will be June 20-22.
We'll go in from the Tahoe side Friday morning to Buck Island Lake and camp there 2 nights then complete the trail Sunday.
More info to come as we plan it out.

Jes

Back