• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Brake Booster swap

jcnoble

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got my WJ booster from the junkyard. It was a major pain getting the different
style fittings to work, went thru a few brake lines. But it works great!!! I can actually stop
like a vehicle is supposed to. The tires don't lock up (33") but the Heep stops pretty quickly.
This is a great upgrade for larger tire sizes and older XJ's.

1988 XJ
5" Lift
33" tires
ARB front, Detroit rear...................

96 xj booster. don't forget to get the pedals too.

this is what I did to my 91.
I used a '96 XJ booster for my '92. Other than using a 1/4" spacer behind the booster (and of course new brake lines at the new master cylinder) I didn't have to modify or adapt anything else.

It'll lock up 33's.

used from an 03 grand, I can lock up 33's. luv it!

I did this swap about 6 months ago. I love it! I can skip all 4 on pavement and I'm running 37's. Best mod yet apart from cutting fenders up.

WRONG...i have a 96 booster/master/pedal/brake switch in my 87...works perfectly

I'm wrong .. saying you're better off grabbing a 4 year old booster for $50 and spending 12 minutes with a dremal before installing, than you would be buying a 13 year old booster for $50, pedal for $15, and switch for $7?

Just because you did it doesn't mean another way isn't better for the average user.

Where are you guys getting prices of $50? Crown, Autozone, junk yard, etc?

There are no WJ's in yards areound here. If I could walk in and buy this stuff new for what you are quoting, that would be the way to go.

I'm wrong .. saying you're better off grabbing a 4 year old booster for $50 and spending 12 minutes with a dremal before installing, than you would be buying a 13 year old booster for $50, pedal for $15, and switch for $7?

Just because you did it doesn't mean another way isn't better for the average user.

No you actually put the WJ booster is the only one that works...read your statement...thats what i read...so i simply stated that the 95/96 booster does work...and i actually spent less on my swap and with NEW parts than for USED WJ parts....i was lucky when i found my booster/master...had only 20 miles on them :laugh3:

No you actually put the WJ booster is the only one that works...read your statement...thats what i read...so i simply stated that the 95/96 booster does work...and i actually spent less on my swap and with NEW parts than for USED WJ parts....i was lucky when i found my booster/master...had only 20 miles on them :laugh3:

20 miles on them /= new

Then they weren't new. ;) Used is used.

How did you wire up the switch? They aren't the same.

Where are you guys getting prices of $50? Crown, Autozone, junk yard, etc?

There are no WJ's in yards areound here. If I could walk in and buy this stuff new for what you are quoting, that would be the way to go.

www.car-part.com

Enter 2004, jeep grand cherokee, brake booster, and then search. You'll see retarded high prices, go to the bottom of the page. There will be a list of pages, one will have a * by it - that is the page with the lowest listed price. Click there, start scrolling up and calling the shops. They are mail order junk yards, and you can negotiate with them. May not get $50 shipped on the first call, but you will eventually find the deal you want.

Yes, the 95/96 booster and master swap is an improvement for earlier XJs and MJs. But the WJ swap will provide an even better improvement. This comes from some SoCal people who have done it both ways. So either swap will work.

I have a WJ booster and master on my 92 MJ. Found them in the junkyard for $20. FordGuy made me some new brakelines.

Back