• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 Cherokee gas line pressure

jp's xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have been having the same problem many others have had with cold starts. Engine turns over for 6-8 seconds then finally starts. Only happens when sits for a long period like overnight. Just changed the fuel filter/regulator and that helped, but still happens intermitantly. Trying to figure out where a possible leak off of pressure could be coming from, changed the gas cap, checked lines. Could this be a leaking fuel injector?? How would I check something like this?? I don't see anything in my manual about a check valve in the fuel sending unit, which is something else I was thinking could be a problem. Any other ideas??

I haven't seen a 4.0 that hasn't had this problem. In my opinion it is just backfeeding to the tank, like you said. A check valve might fix it but I have learned to live with it. If yours has the vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator like my '88 (not too familiar with newer 4.0s) it will take a while to start after sitting over night because even though the fuel pump pressurizes the line when you turn the key, the fuel rail still needs to be pressurized once vacuum opens the regulator.

jp's xj said:
How would I determine exactly where it is leaking down??? The pressure gauge will tell me if it is or not, but doesn't say where.
If it's leaking down then you need to block the line back to the tank to tell where the leak is. Injectors need to be tested one at a time with a hand pump.

Sounds like a lot of work, do you know if there is indeed a check valve in the fuel sending unit for this year ? (it has the serviceable fuel filter / regulator on top of the tank) If I pull each injector and test them, do I have to replace all the o-rings?

jp's xj said:
Sounds like a lot of work, do you know if there is indeed a check valve in the fuel sending unit for this year ? (it has the serviceable fuel filter / regulator on top of the tank) If I pull each injector and test them, do I have to replace all the o-rings?
Every fuel pump has a check valve. Always replace the 0-rings.

Back