• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead Console Wiring ('97 XJ with '98 harness)

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
Got it all in and finished except for the wiring.
3 plugs on new harness:

I had lighted mirrors before and one of the new plugs matched the one from the old harness for the lighted mirrors- so I used that one.

The bigger plug on the new harness fit perfectly in an unused connector near the glovebox (not attatched to main fuse panel) Put new plug into that connector (not sure if the wiring is same from 97-98 but it fit?)

Next plug I have no idea where it goes... it has threee wires: blue, light blue with red tracer, and black with red tracer. The connector has 4 pins on the bottom row and one pin in each corner on the top row (loooks like "pic" below)
[-]+++[-]
[-][-][-][-]

---and is the temp sensor supposed to be such a PITA to put on?

Last edited:
The other connector is for the keyless entry.

On the diagram you drew with #1 being upper left, #2 upper right, #3 lower left and #6 at lower right (looking at it from the plug in side NOT the side with the wires going in) you should have wires in the 2, 4 & 5 positions.

You should be good to go with what you already have plugged in since your XJ doesn't have keyless. Give it a try, should work.
btw, the larger connector you plugged in on your 98 harness is identical to the same plug on the 97 harness, right down to the wire count and pin position.
The only overall difference is the final unused plug for keyless.

Last edited:
JEEPZZ said:
The other connector is for the keyless entry.

On the diagram you drew with #1 being upper left, #2 upper right, #3 lower left and #6 at lower right (looking at it from the plug in side NOT the side with the wires going in) you should have wires in the 2, 4 & 5 positions.

You should be good to go with what you already have plugged in since your XJ doesn't have keyless. Give it a try, should work.
btw, the larger connector you plugged in on your 98 harness is identical to the same plug on the 97 harness, right down to the wire count and pin position.
The only overall difference is the final unused plug for keyless.
Yup, got it. I went ahead with it before you posted... just got up from the garage.

Everything in and working. :cheers:

Total install time was 3 hrs. (Including tearing dash apart)

Great to hear. That's got to be a record time of install on an overhead console too!
Enjoy!

(for a few hours there, I thought I shipped you the wrong console since tracking showed it got delivered to California) :laugh3:

JEEPZZ said:
Great to hear. That's got to be a record time of install on an overhead console too!
Enjoy!

(for a few hours there, I thought I shipped you the wrong console since tracking showed it got delivered to California) :laugh3:
Yeah, I've had the thing apart so many times it isn't even funny any more...

This is all on could find on calibrating it. That about it?

RichP said:
I seem to remember something about calibrating it somewhere. If I remember correctly you might have to do it each time you disconnect the battery. Never mind, I just looked it up in section 8V, you probably need to degauss the forward mounting screws and the roof panel. The part number for the degaussing tool is 6029, no idea how much they cost, I used to make my own years ago out of a coathanger and transformer. From the manual it looks like it would take about 10 min the first time you do it.
However there is also a calibration procedure for this compass, you are in wilmington NC and the compass variation number for that area according to their map is either zone 9 or 10, turn the ignition switch to ON, depress and releas the step button until you reach the compass/temp display. Depress and hold both the step and us/metric buttons down until 'var' appears in the display, takes about 5 seconds. Release both buttons, the current variance number will appear press and release the us/metric buttons to step thru the numbers untill your zone appears. Press the step button to set the zone into memory. Do it in a big empty field with no other metal buildings around and not under any powerlines...
For calibration [the above set the zone and did not calibrate it] start the engine in this big field, if the compass is still off calibration momentarily press and release the step button, press and release the us/metric buttons till cal appears, takes about 10 seconds the book says, and about 5 seconds later 'var' appears, release both buttons. drive the vehicle on a level surface away from large metal objects thru three or more complete circles in not less than 48 seconds. The CAL message will disappear from the display to indicate that the compass is now calibrated. SHeesh, sound as bad as setting up the gyros on the old FIST V fire support track...only faster....

The compass will self adjust but it can ocassionally run into a snag then you can put it into manual adjust mode just as you post. Setting the magnetic variance for you region should also be done.

btw, all of these same instruction to calibrate and adjust are in your owners manual too.

Back