• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead console wiring harness

casm

NAXJA Forum User
I have a line on a cheap factory overhead console for my 2001 Sport, which never came with one. Two questions: is the wiring for it already present (I'm assuming not), and are there any ancilliaries not directly attached to the console that I may need?

casm said:
I have a line on a cheap factory overhead console for my 2001 Sport, which never came with one. Two questions: is the wiring for it already present (I'm assuming not), and are there any ancilliaries not directly attached to the console that I may need?

I feel weird replying to my own post, but here goes: the guy went nuts on the price after checking eBay, so he's out. Having thought about it, I'll probably just go for one of the aftermarket compass/temperature mirrors - Froogle's turning them up for $219, which is slightly less before shipping than the console would've cost. I won't get the overhead storage (read: place to mount a CB) that I wanted, but I'll live.

you would have had to buy the ambient temp. sensor to go out front in the grille...There's not that much room in the console for a cb... unless you were thinking of the cobra unit with all the functions on the handle...that's what i'm doing. Good luck with the mirror.

JeepinAudiophile said:
you would have had to buy the ambient temp. sensor to go out front in the grille...

Exactly... And once I realised that, plus the guy nearly tripling the price on me (went from $115 all-in to $285 overnight), I pretty much said 'screw it' and began looking for alternatives. Cruise control has priority at this point, though.

There's not that much room in the console for a cb... unless you were thinking of the cobra unit with all the functions on the handle...that's what i'm doing. Good luck with the mirror.

Thanks :) The unit I was looking at was the Cobra 75 WXST - not sure if this is the same one you have in mind, but it looked like the best all-around package for what I'm trying to do. That and it gives me remotely-mounted 11-meter, which the Yaesu FT8900 I'd like to pick up later doesn't.

If you are looking for the compass functions and stuff just get a decent GPS, it will be more useful. As for mounting do a search on 'vehicle specific mounts', I have one, made for the center bezel next to the radio, currently my cell phone resides there but the company that makes the mounts has a bunch of other options including special mounts that will go on the hump and allow you to mount up to and inluding a laptop.
As for the 'went nuts on the price' thing, had that happen when we bought our 97TJ off auto trader, they listed it for $3500 then found it was worth a lot more but we had first dibs and paid cash. The guys wife was pissed, kept pointing out everything that was wrong with it , real and imagined, to get us to walk away right on up till he signed the seller agreement. It was worth the 4 hour ride one way...and the 4 hours home with the TJ....

RichP said:
If you are looking for the compass functions and stuff just get a decent GPS, it will be more useful.

Yup, got one - Garmin eTrex Legend. The main reason for wanting the compass was so that if I'm in a situation where I'm not using the GPS for navigation (say, from Mapquest), I can at least tell if I'm heading in generally the right direction without having to keep another thieveable item in the car.

As for mounting do a search on 'vehicle specific mounts', I have one, made for the center bezel next to the radio, currently my cell phone resides there but the company that makes the mounts has a bunch of other options including special mounts that will go on the hump and allow you to mount up to and inluding a laptop.

Yup, and I've looked into these both here and on Google. I'm trying to avoid bolting stuff to the transmission tunnel or interior fittings, though. Bear in mind that Chrysler still owns my Jeep for another 30-odd payments - so I'm trying to keep from making any changes that they may consider detrimental to the vehicle's value (like they won't anyway) if, God forbid, it has to go back to them for any reason.

As for the 'went nuts on the price' thing, had that happen when we bought our 97TJ off auto trader, they listed it for $3500 then found it was worth a lot more but we had first dibs and paid cash.

I had a similar situation a few years back with a car (Saab 96) I was buying, and even went so far as to let the seller know he was asking far too little for it. He shrugged, said something to the effect of, 'I should've put the right price in the paper, and you seem to like it', and let me take the car for about 40% of what it was actually worth. I called a couple of days later to ask if he'd deposited my cheque, and his wife (who answered the phone) told me that she didn't care if he knew he made the mistake and was honest about it; I still shouldve backed out from buying it and told HER! A call to him and everything was sorted out, but she later called the police in an attempt to make my life hell. Long story short, I kept the car and actually ended up selling it back to the previous owner (who missed it) for exactly what I paid for it a year later.

casm said:
I feel weird replying to my own post, but here goes: the guy went nuts on the price after checking eBay, so he's out. Having thought about it, I'll probably just go for one of the aftermarket compass/temperature mirrors - Froogle's turning them up for $219, which is slightly less before shipping than the console would've cost. I won't get the overhead storage (read: place to mount a CB) that I wanted, but I'll live.
Keep your eye on local junkyards. I've picked up two of them for $35 and $50. You will need the wiring harness from the donor vehicle and they vary over the years. (97,98,99-00,01) With some modfication the harness can be made to work; I've the 98 harness spliced to my 97 pigtails that came with my keyless entry.

Buying cheap TJ's

RichP said:
As for the 'went nuts on the price' thing, had that happen when we bought our 97TJ off auto trader, they listed it for $3500 then found it was worth a lot more but we had first dibs and paid cash.....

Where were YOU when *I* was lookin' for a TJ? ;-)

I found myself at three separate dealers during the course of a month or so (this is back in '98... when TJ's were still relatively new, and BEFORE I bought the XJ)...

Each of these used-car dealers had a TJ "proudly displayed" on the front-line of their lot.

I remember one in particular. (a reality-based dramatization follows)

Me: I see you want $16,999 for this Jeep?

Salesdroid (SD): Yep. It's a pretty nice Jeep.

Me: So... what's on it? It looks pretty basic?

SD: Yeah, it's a 4-cylinder SE, manual tranny, not a lot of options, but the
girls dig 'em, if ya know what I mean! (*wink wink, nudge nudge*)

Me: So it's basically the same Jeep I could buy NEW for $15,500?

SD: But the girls REALLY dig 'em. You'll get laid for sure!

Me: Well, maybe YOU should buy it, then... you seem fixated on that idea.
I don't think this thing is worth more than maybe $12-13k!!

SD: Think whatever you want. We'll get the $17k from somebody.

Me: I'm sure you will. (Bastard!)

:cool:
Den

Back