• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 EVAP Purge Valve Lines... need a source?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been trying to track down a small evap leak in my 2001 XJ (P0456) and finally got a smoke machine to use for this (and other things) and while hooking it up I broke once of the plastic lines that route around the back of the firewall and into the Purge Valve (passenger side of engine). I was able to make a temporary fix by cutting it and using some spare hose I had in the garage along w/a clamp. It seems to be holding up ok, but I'd like to replace that plastic hose/line w/a new piece along w/ new rubber connectors.

I just can't seem to find it on my usual go-to places inline. Any suggestions or ideas? I might be able to use some brake line and just mold it to fit if all else fails.

My leak appeared to be near the charcoal canister by gas tank. One of the rubber connectors at the end of the aluminum line was so deteriorated that it almost crumbled in my hand. The smoke was flowing out pretty good. I used some spare tubing and a couple clamps to fix it... at least for now. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

New, OEM parts are hard or impossible to find anymore.This is true for most older vehicles
I have used an assortment of fuel, oil, evaporative, heater hoses and rubber fittings from the local parts stores to repair the various XJs that have come through my garage.
The 2000-2001 XJs are very sensitive to evaporative leaks and are a major cause of later model XJs failing emissions inspections.
It's time to get creative.

You can go to the dealer to try and get part numbers, but don't be surprised if what their parts book says is correct... will not fit. What has happened over the years is parts and designs have changed and you'd need more than what you really need to get the dealer parts to work. And in some cases those other parts that would make it work are discontinued/no longer available.

Thanks guys... so far my Check Engine light has stayed off (granted it's only been a couple days) so we'll see if I fixed the actual issue and for how long... Ha!

I know this isn't something super hard to fabricate myself but thought I'd ask if anyone had seen these anywhere. I'm thinking some pre-made brake line of the proper length would be the easiest thing to use to start from. Just need to find a few rubber couplings of various sizes as well.

Thanks guys... so far my Check Engine light has stayed off (granted it's only been a couple days) so we'll see if I fixed the actual issue and for how long... Ha!

I know this isn't something super hard to fabricate myself but thought I'd ask if anyone had seen these anywhere. I'm thinking some pre-made brake line of the proper length would be the easiest thing to use to start from. Just need to find a few rubber couplings of various sizes as well.

I would either raid the boneyard or just run hose.
But if you are going to use brake line, which actually is some out of the box thinking (I like it), thinking go with the NiCopp stuff. Be easier to bend.

D@MN... check engine light back on when driving home yesterday. P0441 code popped up... so looks like I didn't fix all my issues. Back to the smoke machine ...

One other ? I noticed that when I tried to run the HVAC procedure w/my Code Scanner it came back saying that test wasn't supported. Does that mean my '01 XJ doesn't support that scan or my actual Code Scanner doesn't support that on my XJ?

Depending on where you live, you can still find Cherokees in wrecking yards. Row52.com helps a lot.

Alternatively, the evap lines are low pressure (I think 1psi ish) and aren't carrying something caustic like fuel, so they could be made out of just about anything. Even some clear tubing from your local hardware store should be sufficient.

The elbow on the intake and the gas cap have been the problem areas for my 2000 XJ. Sometimes the keeper for the gas cap will get wound up under it and cause the CE light to come on.

I had a CEL that kept popping up, and replaced my fuel cap, but it was still intermittent. I would just clear it once in awhile. After a hard wheeling trip on the Rubicon, I realized that the evap canister was actually crushed from wheeling had a massive crack in it. It was amazing that the CEL was still just intermittent, even with a crushed evap canister. I swapped out the canister, as well as replaced my rubber lines. I fixed mine like others have said, - just using rubber fuel line or other rubber line I have had laying around the garage and sealed them with hose clamps. I have had no CEL's relating to it anymore.

Back