• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge cluster fix?

beaglebriar

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have a permanent fix for the no bus/poor connection to the gauge cluster? Will the factory replacement connections do the trick if installed properly?

If I pull the dash apart and reseat the connections it's good for awhile but it's annoying to have to continually do so.

Update on this... sort of. If I flick the high beams on when the gauges drop out everything comes back to life. I'm gonna go through all of the grounds when I get a chance. Crazy...

I used a nozzle cleaning tool (oxy/acetylene rig) to scuff the contacts on the plug and the socket and a bunch of dielectric grease to prevent future oxidation. That was 6+ years ago, and probably 100k. It's time consuming to hit every single pin, but it's cheaper and easier than the full cluster plug splice mess.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I used a nozzle cleaning tool (oxy/acetylene rig) to scuff the contacts on the plug and the socket and a bunch of dielectric grease to prevent future oxidation. That was 6+ years ago, and probably 100k. It's time consuming to hit every single pin, but it's cheaper and easier than the full cluster plug splice mess.

Good to know. Thank you

Just make sure that you don't spread the two halves of the female terminals so far that they don't spring back together. If anything, you want to try to make those tighter.

Anyone know why after removing the odometer and changing the mileage (to match actual) the speedometer won't work, but the odometer readings work just fine? I swear when I spun the gear in the back with a drill the speedometer worked just fine, but now that it's installed (1989 mechanical speedometer) the speed doesn't work.

Back