• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Psc big bore box swap issues

moparcyco

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone here running one? Had a stock box on 37's tons etc. Finally gave it up couldn't really turn locked. So put a modified wj pump on helped a bunch. So I bought the Psc box supposed to be a lot more powerful than stock right? put the first one on turned great to the left but anything going back to the right had a horrible sound. Called Psc they had me send a video they said definetly a hydraulic issue. sent me another box installed this one now it makes the noise both directions. The pump does not make a sound could I have lost pressure or are these things junk?

$800 is a lot to pay plus I'm using swepco fluid at $10 a quart this is getting expensive. Anyone run into this before? Thanks

I'm going to guess that the pump is at fault here.

PSC boxes are def not junk.

Your pump maybe the issue. many makers suggest a more powerful pump or at least a stock one that is up to the job when going to a bigger steering gearbox. PSC has a good reputation. AGR on the otherhand sells junk, the owner lies to you on the phone, if you can even get a hold of him.

I suggest trying a new or upgraded pump eventually. see what PSC says about the pump. yoru pump maybe on its last legs for instance, not enough umph to work with a bigger gear box.

The pump is a 2001 wj pump from 4.7 with the hydraulic fan. has xj pressure fitting drilled to 5/32. I was going to wait and try going to 3/16 but I've been told that is absolute overkill. Called Psc today they gave me a list of things to check. If you use a stethoscope you can hear its the box. even pulled the pitman and cycled the wheel with no resistance with the scope you can still hear it in the box. We also had it on a hoist with the pitman disconnected and cycled the steering by hand there is nothing binding. I am 100% sure its the box. they say there is no way I could get two in a row bad. I work in Auto parts guess what happens all the time.

I just hope there service is as good as everyone says. And they will help me. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Hydro assist it already

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I am running a psc big bore in my xj. No funny sounds. Did you flush your pump and lines before installing the new box? Did you bleed the lines by turning lock to lock 30 times without the engine running(before you start the pump the first time)? And then start the engine and keep bleeding for another 20-30 lock to lock turns?

You might have gotten air bubbles in your pump and worn it out. I am using a psc big bore xd with a stock steering pump with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back