• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ no headlights

carnuck

NAXJA Forum User
Actually, they do come on when the XJ is moving. DRL box gone bad or? I couldn't find another relay. Truck is 08/96 and the stripped down Canadian built Sport version. 4.0L, 5 speed, AC delete.
Turn on the lights and nothing happens. Pull on the highbeam/turn switch and no click, but the "flash to pass" works. Start driving and the lights come on till you stop. Weird or?

while ur stoped try tapping(hiting) the lights, to see if they come on, and
check for loose connections.

We tapped the lights as well as the DRL box and nothing. Jeep hits 5mph and the lights come on till it's shut off. (headlight switch pulled or not)

ok thats just weird dude.

ok was looking around net, and do u have anything around the switch that says "Auto"?

Nope. It's a plain jane "97" rig made in Canada. I helped her rig up relays so she has lowbeam when she turns the lights on. It's like an ABS sensor (doesn't even have that!) or VSS is engaging the relay and making it work once the Jeep is rolling.

You probably need a new switch. I had to replace mine. It was doing just as you described. There's a hole under the dash you can stick your finger into to push the button that releases the switch so you can remove it. It's a bitch to do.

Back