• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 of 3 motor mount bolts sheared off in engine block... help!!?!?!

Tim88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, The jeep had been doing fine, no major mechanical problems in the past few months, made the 700mile trip to tellico and back no problem. But this morning when I got in it to start it up it was making a horrible noise.

I popped the hood the fan shroud was torn up, and the whole engine had shiffed a few inches. So I looked around a little, and noticed the passenger side engine mount wasn't even bolted to the block anymore. At first I thought the bolts all just backed out, but I got under neath it and looked. The two bottom bolts sheared flush off with the block. I think I might be able to drill into the lower one, but there def isn't enough room to drill the top one. Does this mean I am going to have to pull the engine? The engine is a rebuilt one with under 20k miles on it.

anyone have anything similar happen to thier jeep? what did you do? Let me know, Tim

Thank god

well I was under there looking at them, and I happen to just put my thumb on the the bolt, and I was able to turn it with my thumb. I was able to get both of them out. So now all I have to do is get some new bolts and locktite. Anyone know what size/thread bolts I need? I can go pick them up from the hardware store. Thanks again, Tim

If you could turn them out by hand, now you know why they broke -- the shop didn't tighten them up when they installed the engine.

Just take the broken ends to the store and match up the diameter and thread pitch.

Loctite is a good idea. I suggest blue -- red is for threads you don't ever expect to take apart again. Although I've never had an engine mount bolt come loose -- just be sure the new ones are correctly torqued down.

Back