• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon trail this October

Skruffy

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hello all,
I am wanting to run the rubicon this October. Looking at the 14th-18th. Dates are flexible.
I have never run the rubicon before but have always wanted to. Would be much more enjoyable to go with another jeep or two, better yet some XJs.
I plan to camp along the trail at least one night and would likely be bringing my two kids with me.

If anyone is interested let’s get something going!

My rig is a 2001, with TJ rubicon 44s front and rear on 35s. Suspension is unique to say the least - air springs. Engine is a supercharged LS3. It will be a blast and a good proving ground for my ambitious rig. I have ran most of the local trails with it and haven’t had much trouble so I am confident it can make the trip. Or you can laugh at/with me when I break down!

Would love to hear your thoughts on the idea.

a3b063b34686c6316a1bf22ff8d3558e.jpg

You set on October? Sierra fest is second week in August and is always a good time.

That should be a nice time to be on the trail, as long as you bring good jackets. I’d expect it to be very quiet.

Question about your rig which sounds awesome, with that ls3 is it street legal or just a trail rig? Have a build thread?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Question about your rig which sounds awesome, with that ls3 is it street legal or just a trail rig? Have a build thread?

Found your awesome build thread. But couldn't pinpoint if you're still in California and if this passed star smog.

Thanks Phil,

The jeep is registered in Arizona where it would pass emissions testing if required. The catalytic converters are in, the fuel pressure sensors and purge valves and charcoal canister is in as well.
It would not pass ca emissions because of the headers. The headers are not CARB certified and even if they were the catalytic converters are not in the donor car orientation and location.
It would be exceedingly difficult to get the catalytic forward converter on the drivers side to fit with any known CARB legal header. I believe it would require some cutting into the “frame”.

Did this trip happen? How was it?

I won't speak for Skruffy but I did this in the last week of September. We had a great time as there wasn't as much impact from the fires as I thought there would be. Otherwise very little difference in the trail since the last time I went in 2010.

Back