• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 Pinion Seal Leaking

Bradlybob

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a special procedure for changing a pinion seal in an 8.8 rear end? I found a post when I searched from Old Man that said there were procedures to follow if you want your gears to last. This things making a mess so it needs to come out soon.

Don't know of any procedure that your supposed to use, but, a lot of people around here change the seal and use silicone on the pinion splines before they install the new seal and the yoke. Sam works at Paul Miller Ford down in Lex. ky. said that this is about the best way to keep the gear oil in the diff.

XJ_ranger said:
here is some info for changing the ford 9" pinion seal, all that will be different will be the bearing pre-load...

http://www.opiebennett.com/reargeneral.htm

no i havent finished the write up yet...

Thats a very key difference!

The besy way to do it, frankly, is to pull the differential from the case, pull the pinion, put a new seal and a new crush sleeve in, tighten the pinion nut until the pinion preload is correct, and put it all back together.

CRASH

All U Have To Do Is Before U Pull It Apart Record How Many Inch Puonds It Takes To Rotate The Assembly.and When U Put It Back Together Tighten To The Same Torque As U Had Recorded.u Will Have No Problems That Way And It Is Easy To Do.just Remove The Drive Shaft The Yolk And Pry Out The Seal Thats It Nothing Else To Remove Or Confuse U.

markaboo929 said:
All U Have To Do Is Before U Pull It Apart Record How Many Inch Puonds It Takes To Rotate The Assembly.and When U Put It Back Together Tighten To The Same Torque As U Had Recorded.u Will Have No Problems That Way And It Is Easy To Do.just Remove The Drive Shaft The Yolk And Pry Out The Seal Thats It Nothing Else To Remove Or Confuse U.

Congratulations, you receive the ghetto-fab award for the day!

How would one measure inch/pounds of rotational resistance with the differential in place? The proportion of resistance in the pinion bearing to the resistance in the differential/axles/brakes is so tiny that you could be off by 300% on pinion bearing preload and not show any difference in total rotational resistance......

Well If U Know About Rears-aparently U Do-did U Forget About Total Preload With The Diff Case ? It Would Probably Be Easier For A Non Super Tech Like Yourself To Do That.just Remove Rims And Tires -sorry On My Part Forgot To Mention That-let Me Ask U A Question.if U Record The Torque Required To Turn The Assembly What Makes U Think It Would Change??????????????????????assuming U Are A Master Ford Tech For Umteen Years.

Also To Answer Your Question U Should Have Already Known To Use An Inch Pound Wrench With A Dial On It Not A Click Type.and There Is Specifications For Total Pinion Bearing And Diff Side Bearing Preload Rotational Torque.

And Further More U Forgot To Mention About Bearing Preload Wether They Are New Pinion Bearings Or Same Used Ones.now I Congradulate U For Being A Master Tech And A Fish Bioligst.um Fish Swim And Mate And Eat Thats It Big Deal.

markaboo929 said:
Also To Answer Your Question U Should Have Already Known To Use An Inch Pound Wrench With A Dial On It Not A Click Type.and There Is Specifications For Total Pinion Bearing And Diff Side Bearing Preload Rotational Torque.

Well If U Know About Rears-aparently U Do-did U Forget About Total Preload With The Diff Case ? It Would Probably Be Easier For A Non Super Tech Like Yourself To Do That.just Remove Rims And Tires -sorry On My Part Forgot To Mention That-let Me Ask U A Question.if U Record The Torque Required To Turn The Assembly What Makes U Think It Would Change??assuming U Are A Master Ford Tech For Umteen Years.

And Further More U Forgot To Mention About Bearing Preload Wether They Are New Pinion Bearings Or Same Used Ones.now I Congradulate U For Being A Master Tech And A Fish Bioligst.um Fish Swim And Mate And Eat Thats It Big Deal.

I think I'll let NAXJA users judge for themselves whom to take advice from.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Thats a very key difference!

The besy way to do it, frankly, is to pull the differential from the case, pull the pinion, put a new seal and a new crush sleeve in, tighten the pinion nut until the pinion preload is correct, and put it all back together.

CRASH

right!

sorry, i guess i didnt mention in my write up that i pulled the bearing caps and the diff and ring gear out when i did this...

markaboo929 said:
MUST BE A MID WEST COAST THING.OVER EDUCATED AND DUMBFOUNDED :lecture:

Clearly.

markaboo929 said:

Did Hinkly write this ?

markaboo929 said:
Well If U Know About Rears-aparently U Do-did U Forget About Total Preload With The Diff Case ? It Would Probably Be Easier For A Non Super Tech Like Yourself To Do That.just Remove Rims And Tires -sorry On My Part Forgot To Mention That-let Me Ask U A Question.if U Record The Torque Required To Turn The Assembly What Makes U Think It Would Change??????????????????????assuming U Are A Master Ford Tech For Umteen Years.

"Punctuation".
Look it up in the dictionary.

So let me get this straight. Pull the diff from the housing, pull the pinion, clean it up good, install new crush sleave, install pinion, install new seal, silicone splines, install yoke, tighten pinion nut in incriments to specified torque, check preload with diff out, tighten pinion nut until proper preload, install diff, fill it back up and go.
Thanks all.

Bradlybob said:
So let me get this straight. Pull the diff from the housing, pull the pinion, clean it up good, install new crush sleave, install pinion, install new seal, silicone splines, install yoke, tighten pinion nut in incriments to specified torque, check preload with diff out, tighten pinion nut until proper preload, install diff, fill it back up and go.
Thanks all.
wrong

with the new crush sleeve, you might change the pinion depth, and (as unexpierenced as i am) you should run a gear pattern and check Backlash to see what they are...

do you need to re-gear? now is a good time...

XJ_ranger said:
wrong

with the new crush sleeve, you might change the pinion depth, and (as unexpierenced as i am) you should run a gear pattern and check Backlash to see what they are...

do you need to re-gear? now is a good time...

You WILL NOT change the depth with a new crush sleeve. The pinion depth is controlled by shims.

You can run a pattern before and after the build, if you want to make yourself feel better.

CRASH

Back