NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 7th, 2019, 20:15
NAXJA Forum User

Aw4 question

So I busted the output shaft on the aw4. Does the whole trans need to come apart to change it?
Old November 7th, 2019, 20:22
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Aw4 question

If you actually thrashed the output shaft then yes there is a snap ring that holds the shaft on the rear planetary gear and sprag. Once you get it off the shaft slides out. Better off getting a used aw4. I just rebuilt mine and if you mess something up like I did you won't have a overdrive that works lol or you can tear seals really easy if it's your first time rebuilding.

If you want to give it a shot the aw4 manual is online so you can see how to get to it. Good luck bud.
Old November 7th, 2019, 21:04
NAXJA Forum User

That's what I thought. I twisted it clean off. Maybe I should just go 23 spline so it doesn't happen again. Thanks
Old November 8th, 2019, 07:56
NAXJA Forum User

Aw bummer sorry to hear that. Yeah that would be a good upgrade in the future you can get a spare just to get going again and then just maybe make a project out of it if you have time. The aw4 is not that hard to tear down it's really the putting everything back right. I'm not super organized so I knew I had something coming. Good luck also ebay has spare shafts for like 50 bucks ish.