NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 2nd, 2019, 16:28
NAXJA Forum User

1997 Shutting down after starting

This has probably been asked before, but I can't find a solution using the search function. I've got a 10/1997 XJ Sport(Australian delivered) that I've owned for the last 5 years. It's had an intermittent fault where it would start then shut down the same as if the Security light is on. In the past if you locked then unlocked via the key fob it would run, the batteries have been replaced in the fobs.

So the fuel pump is ok, 52psi & 250ml in 7 sec, as per the XJ manual. Crank cam sensors appear ok, the engine is starting, just shuts down within seconds.Tested the loom for loose/broken wires, nothing shows up.

I probed the injector wires & when it stops the injectors are turning it off, the ignition is still firing. No codes are showing up with the elcheapo scanner, as well as I have had it scanned with a Snapon unit with no issues detected. The ASD relay is still alive after the engine stops, so it isn't stopping the engine.

My thoughts are the PCM or the Security system. How can I bypass the Security system to eliminate it? I don't have another PCM to swap over & the nearest Jeep dealer is 70 miles away.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old November 4th, 2019, 16:45
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 1997 Shutting down after starting

You better swing over and pick up that pcm I have and give it a go. Mudgee