NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 31st, 2019, 01:09
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Jeep shuts off, I searched

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackxjmn View Post
Hey,
I have been having issues recently with my 2000 xj shutting off while driving. Usually I can put it in park and crank it and it will turn back on. When it dies the tach simply drops, no sputtering or anything it just turns off. I am speculating that it is the CPS but am not sure because it works some of the time. My Jeep did not throw a code except a couple EVAP fuel system leaks and a cylinder 3 misfire. Sorry for repeating any previously asked questions I just want a solid answer.

Thanks in advance
'00 was kind of doing the same thing. When she would reach operating temperature. Pretty sure my CPS was experiencing thermal failure.
Doing the resistance test it came up good, assuming I did it right, but that kind of makes sense cause it was done when cold.
Can read a little more about my experience with it here.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/cut...riving-241745/
Old November 2nd, 2019, 21:19
NAXJA Forum User

Good evening, I hope maybe one of you guys can point me in the right direction. My 98 had a dead battery, I jump started it the other day to move it up into the garage to replace the badly cracked APN header. Today I stuck the charger on it, turned the charger to high amp for engine start, it did not start. It cranks, but will not fire. The fuel gauge doesn’t register, the volt gauge reads nothing, the ASD relay and the fuel pump relay do not pull in. All fuses check good. I pulled a cover off a relay, stuck it in fuel pump slot, tripped it, fuel pump does run. I unplugged the CPS, the one on the fly wheel, it did not change anything. The CPS ohm’s open. Where should I look next? Could I have fried the ECM, when I turned the charger to boost or when I ran it on a dead battery after I jump started it?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Old November 2nd, 2019, 21:24
NAXJA Forum User

I forgot to add, I cannot get the scan tool to connect to the ECM either.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 08:04
Freakish Hand Strength

The symptoms suggest a faulty CPS, or another OBD-II sensor that is short circuited, but you should always suspect the most recent repairs or modifications as a primary suspect. Did you forget to reconnect any OBD engine sensors or wire harness connectors your removed for the repairs ? Have you inspected all the wire plugs for pushed back wire pins or corrosion, inspected all the wire harnesses for chafed/melted wire insulation or any other damages that may have been present, or may have occurred during the repairs ?

I would specifically look at and continuity test: 1) the wire harnesses at the rear of the valve cover, 2) the O2 sensor wire harness, 3) the wire harness for the throttle body and sensors on top of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old November 3rd, 2019, 08:47
NAXJA Forum User

The no start issue occurred before I disassembled anything for the header swap.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 12:22
NAXJA Forum User

Just did some more testing. I unplugged all sensors, and used a ecm pin out diagram. I have power into pcm, but no 5V voltage output. I’m leaning more heavily to the pcm as being the culprit. Unless anyone has more that you think I can test, I’m probably going to gets ecm ordered up.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 17:04
NAXJA Member

Might do better starting your own thread with a proper title instead of hijacking this one