NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 10th, 2019, 09:49
NAXJA Forum User

New tires

Shopping for tires today I was talking to a salesperson at Discount tire. The salesman was telling me the Cooper Discoverer tires were much better on ice, and a lot quieter than the Goodyear Duratracs. Is this fact, and just opinion?
Old September 10th, 2019, 10:25
NAXJA Forum User

Re: New tires

I don't know about that, but I chose Duratrac's 10yrs ago(for Ouray,Colorado) and now will not run anything else.
Old September 10th, 2019, 11:11
NAXJA Member

I've been happy with my Discoverer AT3s. Quiet on the road and good for trips to the snow on Mt Hood on the weekends. Never run the Duratracs, so I can't compare, but I've been pleased with the AT3s. I do have the 4S compound, which is supposed to be better for snow and ice, so that's something to take into account, I know there are a few versions of that tire.
Old September 10th, 2019, 15:45
Freakish Hand Strength

I recently gave away some 1/2 used Discover AT3 because they would not balance, not even on a Road Force Balancer, and one of them had a flat spot. YMMV.

I just purchased a second set of Kuhmo Road Venture AT/51's for Minnesota winter snow/ice and summer thunderstorms. The AT/51 balanced easily, wear well, look good, and give very good winter traction and wet highway grip. Goodyear Duratracs do get excellent reviews also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....

Last edited by Tim_MN; September 11th, 2019 at 04:05.
Old September 10th, 2019, 18:27
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehowler View Post
Shopping for tires today I was talking to a salesperson at Discount tire. The salesman was telling me the Cooper Discoverer tires were much better on ice, and a lot quieter than the Goodyear Duratracs. Is this fact, and just opinion?

Just keep in mind that their profit margins are higher on the house brands like Cooper versus name brands like Duratracs.
Old September 11th, 2019, 05:11
NAXJA Member

Goodyear duratracs are good on the ice. As a former tire dealer I can tell Goodyears are usually one of the better ice tires due to compound patents Goodyear holds.
Old September 11th, 2019, 07:55
NAXJA Forum User

I've never had a better tire than duratracs, I've run two sets and that tires eats any terrain, snow and ice indefinitely. They don't die out like bff a/t when your down to 1/3 tread. They always hook up well.