• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Guy Intro and Build Up Ideas

xj_mike

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, well I guess I should intro myself as a new to XJ's guy and get some opinions on my planned build up. My name is Mike and I have been into cars and trucks for years. I have built 2 Baja Bugs, a Manx type dune buggy, a couple '69 Camaro's and tons of other vehicles. I have had a couple 4x4's over the years and have just purchased a 2000 XJ, 4 door, 4x4 with 88,000 miles on it. Very clean and has never been offroad, basically a street queen. It's 4.0, auto, ABS (D35, boo) and most of the power options. I am planning a mild build up, similar to my buddies '94 XJ. He has gone everywhere I would want to go so no need to go really big. Here is my plan, based on what I have been reading for the last 3 months here and other boards. I am going to piece together my lift as I have some ideas on what I want. Let me know if something looks really out of wack in my plans.

Basically a 3-3.5" lift with 31" on the stock 16" wheels (I like the 5 spoke 16" ones on it). I want it to ride well, work well and be reliable.

2" OME springs
JKS ACOS (to add adjustablilty when I add a bumper, winch, etc.)
3" OME rear leafs
JKS discos
JKS or Kevin's track bar
SYE and new driveshaft
Auburn ECTED electric lockers with 4.11 gears
Assorted skids, steering box reinforcement, etc.
BFG AT's 245/75-16
Bilstein shock (custom valved, since buddy works at Bilstein :D )

Anything else I really missed or picked some crap parts? I know the ECTED are not "completely" locked if you really have good traction but I like the cost and simplistic advantages over ARB's and like having control when they are locked or not.

Well, I am looking forward to years of wheeln' and hope to meet some of you out on the trails. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm pulling a 2" OME off mine in a couple weeks. :) Going to the RE6200 5.5. Get on the SOCAL XJ list. Great bunch of guys around this area.

Yep, already on that list. I know Kevin H. and Lou L. who are members.

What's ya doing with the OME? How did you like the ride? I could be interested in them.

Mike

Longer LCAs(Lower Control Arms), extended brake lines.
Might want to go 3" front springs and save the ACOS until you get the bumper. The rear will likely be above 3" and the ACOS will be at 2" at that point. Then when you add stuff to the front, you may max out the ACOS.

Kingfish, thanks for the info on the LCA. I was thinking about the Rusty's LCA that are for stock wheels, that have a bend in them to allow the tires not to rub when turning, instead of moving the steering stop and limiting the turning radius.

On the JKS web site they claim the ACOS add 1.25" at the minimum and then can be adjusted from there. My thinking was a 2" spring with the added 1.25" from the shortest the ACOS's can go would give me 3.25".

Is my thinking correct? If so, then I shouldn't have any problems to level out the rear, if higher and would allow me to adjust when I add more weight to the front. I am trying to keep from changing out things later and just do it the way I want from the very start. Not the cheapest to start with but in the long run it will be. Been there, got the t-shirt. :D

Thanks.

Back