• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Non intermittent intermittent wiper....

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
And a few more nagging problems;

No matter what position the wiper switch is in the blades moves constantly,... slow in second speed and slower in first speed and all other settings. I have not determined whether it is the wiper switch or the intermittent module under the dash/knee blocker.

The power steering get hard after 30 minutes of driving in this 90 degree temperature. I have not changed the oil in about 10 years so that should be done. I have looked through dozens of threads on many forums for the recommended oil and in the end I come away more confused than before I begin my search. Some have used ATF, some say ATF will cause the world as we know it spontaneously combust. Some say they use anything that says power steering on the label. Then there are those who use only fluid from the dealer. Some have had success using some form of synthetic steering fluid while others say that is too rich for old school steering pumps and it would hasten its demise. My plan is to try some type of synthetic, Amsoil or some other brand.
It do have some pump whine but only turning the wheel while moving slow which is when I need the power most. The 1996 XJ steering was never as easy to turn as the 1994 I had before. That may just be the nature of the beast. However, it is much more difficult to turn in recent weeks. Would a pressure valve swap from a different year pump help I any way?

The rear windshield washer plastic thing that the hose is attached to broke,...again. OK. So I wipe but not wash :eyes:.

Have anyone removed the collar from the rear drive shaft slip yoke and drilled it to accept a grease zerk? There is a clunking coming from the rear driveline and I suspect it is coming from the drive shaft. This is a Tom Woods unit that was nothing but problem from day one, only I did not know it was a problem until I had exhausted all other trouble shooting options.

Wiper Module

Probably needs a pump. I always add a cooler to my XJ's. A small tranny cooler works well, put it in the return line.

I use ATF

The rear washer thing makes a nice squirt gun for tailgaters.

I have fixed them with some brass tubing from the hardware of hobby shop, just drill out the hole to accept the tubing, glue a short piece in.

I use a XJ front shaft on the rear(4.0/AW4/NP231). I'm at 5.5" lift and no issues. I have a XJ at 3" lift, a XJ front shaft is on it as well. I use Advance Adapters SYE's on both.

Wiper Module

Probably needs a pump. I always add a cooler to my XJ's. A small tranny cooler works well, put it in the return line.

I use ATF

The rear washer thing makes a nice squirt gun for tailgaters.

I have fixed them with some brass tubing from the hardware of hobby shop, just drill out the hole to accept the tubing, glue a short piece in.

I use a XJ front shaft on the rear(4.0/AW4/NP231). I'm at 5.5" lift and no issues. I have a XJ at 3" lift, a XJ front shaft is on it as well. I use Advance Adapters SYE's on both.

It is fun to look in the rear view mirror at drivers who get a squirt of washer fluid.
A brass insert sounds like the ticket.
I am at 4.5" lift and an Advance adaptors SYE also but Tom Woods drive shaft.
The power steering,...the jury is still out on that one. I have a cooler to add but never committed the time to do it.

Thanks. :thumbup:

Back