NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 5th, 2004, 06:50
NAXJA Forum User

Question No-Slip up front? Good idea/bad idea?

I have a Powertrax No-Slip in my rear axle and I'm extremely happy with it. I'm dreaming of an ARB in front, but I can't ever seem to manage to save up to it, being a student and all. But now I found that a No-Slip in front is quite cheap, I've heard someone running one in front and saying it's not that bad. What do you all think, anyone who's tried it, or having good theories?

1986 XJ front D30 vacuum disco, rear D35 No-Slip, 31" MT/R, 4,11:1 gears, 1993 4,0 HO/AW4/NP231, OME springs.

More specific questions:
How does it work in 2wd, when the locker is driving the shaft and pinion, will it bang and judder and be feelable when steering from one side to the other at high speeds? I thought I could unlock the vacuum disco to let only the left wheel drive the diff, or could that leave the locker ratcheting on the left wheel keeping the locker, pinion, driveshaft and right shaft still, only to suddenly lock at 60 mph blowing it all to pieces?

I know it will affect my steering, but I don't know how bad. I also don't know how much stress will constantly be on the driveline, as the front and rear will fight. Will it break my u-joints right away? I have to specify that what you U.S. wheelers say works and don't work in axles really don't apply to us here in Norway, we have no slicrock, only sand, mud, earth, snow etc, mostly slippy terrain. I'm also easy on the gas in low range, espescially in grippy terrain (if any).

Let me hear what you think.
Old February 5th, 2004, 07:40
NAXJA Member #987

Although my experience is strictly second hand, the no-slip should not engage when you are in 2wd. And should drive as though it is unlocked. When I was riding in the passenger seat, did'nt feel like it was tearing up the pavement, and was virtually quiet... Except for the loud exhaust.

Correct me If I'm wrong.. And I might be!
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:15
NAXJA Forum User

do you mean no-slip or lock right, both made by the same company.. no slip for the front is around 400$ and lock right around 200$. i wouldnt consider a no-slip as quite cheap.

but any way, which ever on you get should not be noticable on the street with the 231 and a vacuum disco.
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:30
NAXJA Forum User

What about with a non-disco and 231?

Fergie
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:54
NAXJA Member #761

I think this has be covered about 1000 times. 2wd its invisible. I hate to be the guy that says this but search .

http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=36094
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:03
NAXJA Forum User

I am talking about a No-Slip. I suppose it will be invisible in 2wd, but it's still one front wheel driving the driveshaft, and it will change sides when turning. But, I am mostly worried about how it behaves in 4wd, in hi it's quick to flip between 2 and 4wd, but when I'm in low it's not that simple.

Now I'll search... sorry
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:57
NAXJA Forum User

PM Safari Ary, or search with his name. I recall he had installed it and had many problems. I is not exactly like the lock-right. ez-loker or Aussie.
Old February 5th, 2004, 14:07
NAXJA Forum User

I'm running a Detroit up front, it is invisible in 2wd. You feel it in 4wd but it's not that bad. Define high-speed. I've run it on dirt roads going 40mph or so and haven't had a problem. Doesn't matter if it's a Detroit, Lock-Right, No-Slip, Aussie, etc. etc. They all work on the same basic principles so it's all relevant as long as we're talking automatic lockers, not selectables or spools.
Old February 5th, 2004, 14:35
NAXJA Forum User

Auto lockers only STAY locked when torque is applied. The jerking grabbing feeling while turning will only be there when in 4wd. It comes from the torque trying to keep the locker locked and the wheels trying to unlock it while turning. It will unlock effortlessly while in 2wd.
Old February 5th, 2004, 14:45
NAXJA Forum User

I totally understand how the No-slip operates, but I truely recall somoeone having major issues with it in front of their D30. I have search and I can not find anything, I even tried searching the old tech achives and no luck.

I would say, stick with the lock-right or simular animal. Cheaper and does the same thing.
Old February 5th, 2004, 15:43
NAXJA Forum User

I tried searching the posts of Safari Ary, but found nothing about no-slips... If you find anything, please let me know (or if someone can sum up the story for me that would be great)

The reason I want a No-Slip instead of the others is that I have one in the rear and I'm extremely happy with it, and I'm thinking the synchro rings could do more good in the front than in the rear. I don't trust lockrights after all I've read through the years, but the Aussie sounds nice, even if it doesn't have the synchro-stuff.. and it's a LOT cheaper, almost 1/3 according to my calculations. I found it for sale for D30 at it's homepage, but do you know if they are delivering? I've heard about delays and delays, but I'm not sure that goes for all their models or just for some axles.
Old February 5th, 2004, 19:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amund2
I have a Powertrax No-Slip in my rear axle and I'm extremely happy with it. I'm dreaming of an ARB in front, but I can't ever seem to manage to save up to it, being a student and all. But now I found that a No-Slip in front is quite cheap, I've heard someone running one in front and saying it's not that bad. What do you all think, anyone who's tried it, or having good theories?

Let me hear what you think.

IMHO go with the No-Slip. You won't be disappointed
Old February 5th, 2004, 20:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsxj
IMHO go with the No-Slip. You won't be disappointed
Do you actually have a no-slip in your D30?

edit:

I found a post on POR, there were two that had No-slips in there D30's. I still feel you should save about $200 and just get a plain Lock-right.

Last edited by ChuckD; February 5th, 2004 at 20:22.
Old February 6th, 2004, 06:40
NAXJA Forum User

Ordered an Aussie today. Cost about 2/3 of the NoSlip. Do you know if they are having problems delivering, or is that just the toyota stuff? I know a guy who gave up waiting for his Aussie, bought something else instead.
Old February 6th, 2004, 07:02
NAXJA Forum User

There was a thread about a couple weeks ago. A guy was still waiting , but you might have ordered at just the right time. Right when the shipments from AU get in.