• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 filter change pictures

great write up definatly appreciated . i have a question , i forgot to put magnets back in pan and i really do not want to drop pan again , what do you think ? i am getting to old lol. i also separated dip stick tubes when i had pan out .it made it easier to put pan back but a real pain to slip top half of tube back in . thanks

You can JB Weld a magnet to the Outside of the pan if you want - it will work fine if the magnet is strong.

Reason for the JB Weld - so it doesnt fall off, otherwise, you attract a bunch of stuff, magnet falls off, stuff heads for the pump! Bad.

Has anyone ever cut up an AW4 filter? Filters typically filter better as debris accumulates, so life is usually limited more by tolerable pressure drop across the filter. I'm wondering if a filter replacement is actually needed.

Has anyone ever cut up an AW4 filter? Filters typically filter better as debris accumulates, so life is usually limited more by tolerable pressure drop across the filter. I'm wondering if a filter replacement is actually needed.

It's just a fine metal mesh meant to keep debris out of the valve body and not an actual filter. It generally doesn't need replaced, but some folks are convinced they need to change it periodically. Even if you're getting in there to do solenoids, I still wouldn't bother replacing it and instead would just hose it out with some cleaner.

Which size?

the 3/8 inch fitting size worked for both my power steering and tranny hoses

this one...

https://magnefinefilters.com/NEW-Magnefine-3-8-Magnetic-Inline-Transmission-Filter-R038M-3810000.htm

this works for both fluids the website is weird in that they have a seperate listing for steering and tranny fluid filters, yet they are both the same part. I called and asked them for confirmation. So one type works for both fluids, no difference.

double check your hose diameter before ordering, mine is 3/8 inch on a 1990 XJ.

clean fluid rules!

I agree on the filtering hot statement. Hotter will mean lower viscosity and therefore the magnetic filter will have a greater effective range to pull particles out of the fluid.

Adding a filter shouldn't hurt. I wonder if magnets in the filter would be more effective than the magnets in the bottom of the pan.

I wouldn't think so do to the speed of the flow, you sure can't beat a good magnet in the pan.

The Magnafine filter has both a magnet and a pleated paler filter inside. It also has a bypass valve. I have cut one apart to find out.

Hot fluid filtering in addition to better magnetic capture of lartilces as stated is also of
help to reduce back pressure thru the filter media as thin oil flows easier thru the media. Less back pressure means less pressure loss and less bypassing via the bypass valve.

This is why be it tranny, engine, power steering, etc.., oils should be filtered prior to cooling.

I hose clamps the filters in place to the body panel just below the radiator, behind the bumper.

With the price of a tranny rebuild these days, A bit of extra filtering might be $aving money in the long run.

Back