• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Considering A 2001 XJ With Transfer Case Problems

Quarterwave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a newer XJ, and I'm interested in a local 2001 model that has some problem with the 4X4 transfer case. It's a 4.0, AW4, 4 door, and when I took it for a test drive, there was some vibration and noise coming from the transmission tunnel.

The transmission seemed to change gears smoothly, when under hard and light acceleration.

From memory, it had the 2H / 4H / N / 4L configuration, so does that make it an NP231 ?

In any event, the current owner admitted that the problem/noises were intermittent, but that it needed to be replaced.

In light of that, I was wondering what $$ I'm looking at for a refurbished one installed. (Unfortunately, I just don't think that I have the mechanical aptitude or tools to take on a job like that).

Also, how long would it be off the road for to get it fixed (I plan on using it as a daily driver).

Thanks in advance.

Yeah it's a 231. Transfer case swaps are actually pretty easy. Quadratec has reman'd ones for about 500-some bucks, but there's a core charge and shipping too. I'd check the boneyards in your area as well. Just make sure it's the transfer case before you buy.

Quarterwave said:
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a newer XJ, and I'm interested in a local 2001 model that has some problem with the 4X4 transfer case. It's a 4.0, AW4, 4 door, and when I took it for a test drive, there was some vibration and noise coming from the transmission tunnel.

The transmission seemed to change gears smoothly, when under hard and light acceleration.

From memory, it had the 2H / 4H / N / 4L configuration, so does that make it an NP231 ?

In any event, the current owner admitted that the problem/noises were intermittent, but that it needed to be replaced.

In light of that, I was wondering what $$ I'm looking at for a refurbished one installed. (Unfortunately, I just don't think that I have the mechanical aptitude or tools to take on a job like that).

Also, how long would it be off the road for to get it fixed (I plan on using it as a daily driver).

Thanks in advance.

Check the transmission mount. a separated one could actually cause all this. It bolts to the transfercase from a bolt-on frame crossmember at about the middle of the vehicle; look for degraded, cracked, or split rubber (i had to replace one on my 99). Try pushing down on the transfercase lever (don't shift) and see if it goes away - the bushings on the tcase linkage often fail, and the resulting vibration is surprisingly loud, especially when stopped in Drive. If not, go to a parts yard and look for a wrecked xj with low miles, and pull the tcase. You also get the advantage of having some experience with the install. If you're getting it done professionally, prepare to be ripped off.

Back