• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix IAC motor actually bad?

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible for the IAC motor to actually be bad, not just dirty? I've blasted the carbon crap out of this thing like 3 times before but it never really gets rid of the symptoms that I'm having. I've had the "pintle" all the way out before and it seems fine. Anything internal that might go? Anyone know and is there a way to tell? Thanks in advance guys.
-Collin

I have just replaced mine when they got past the stage of cant clean well with Seafoam. Could be that it works in your hand but not in the TB. They are not $$ in the $20 range IIRC...Good Luck

BigBlackHeep said:
Is it possible for the IAC motor to actually be bad, not just dirty? I've blasted the carbon crap out of this thing like 3 times before but it never really gets rid of the symptoms that I'm having. I've had the "pintle" all the way out before and it seems fine. Anything internal that might go? Anyone know and is there a way to tell? Thanks in advance guys.
-Collin
Yes they can and do. The motor is a ratchet/stepper that runs the pintle in and out.

langer1 said:
Yes they can and do. The motor is a ratchet/stepper that runs the pintle in and out.
So....if I've checked out and have no vacuum leaks but the idle is erratic once the heep gets warm, is there a chance my IAC could be bad? It idles crappy when it's warm. Slew of other new sensors as well, TPS, O2 sensor, goodies like that. Anyone have thoughts on this?

yello?

BigBlackHeep said:
So....if I've checked out and have no vacuum leaks but the idle is erratic once the heep gets warm, is there a chance my IAC could be bad? It idles crappy when it's warm. Slew of other new sensors as well, TPS, O2 sensor, goodies like that. Anyone have thoughts on this?
How much vacuum do you have? Most of the time a bad IAC will cause hard starts or high/low idle but not a rough idle.

Last edited:
If it is a 4.0 1990 or prior, EGR is a possibility. You may also have Intake Air Temp or Coolant Temp sensors out of spec. Time to get out a multimeter and check a few values. You could aslo clean up the ground circuit connections, and check that the throttle body is clean.

Same game going on here for a year now. Coolant sensor located in drivers side of block below intake is high on my list for replacement as I know it is not within specs. It should read within 10 degrees of the other temp sensor but doesnt. But I havent found a dealer that even knows what Im talking about. They keep getting me the temp sensors in the radiator, That doesnt tell the ECM what the temp is, the one in the block does. I have replaced all of the parts mentioned in this thread to no avail, except the air temp sensor. My advice is to check those air and temp sensors before the rest of the mentioned parts.

Autozoo of all places has the block temp sensor .. did wonders for my idle.. they had to order it in at my store some stores even stock it

Wilcharl : You dont happen to still have the part # ? That doesnt surprise me though, I seem to get the people that just got fired from mickey d's when I go to parts stores. I dont even try to help them use their database anymore.

MACH90XJ said:
Wilcharl : You dont happen to still have the part # ? That doesnt surprise me though, I seem to get the people that just got fired from mickey d's when I go to parts stores. I dont even try to help them use their database anymore.
WELLS TU108
Napa pn#ECHTS5018

101789.jpg

Last edited:
Is that block sensor only available on renix models ? I was under the impression my HO model only had had a coolant temp sensor on the tstat housing a air charge temp on the manifold and a coolant sensor on the back of the block for the gauges ?

pete

jeepsrock said:
Is that block sensor only available on renix models ? I was under the impression my HO model only had had a coolant temp sensor on the tstat housing a air charge temp on the manifold and a coolant sensor on the back of the block for the gauges ?

pete
Your correct.

Back