• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 swap into 95 from 2001

oldguy63

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I am new to NAXJA and hope I am posting to the correct forum. Need help with a aw4 transmission swap. Own a 95' 4.0 and trans went belly up. Got a 2001 aw4 and installed. Of course I had not read your threads about speed sensor issues so trans does not work right. I am in the process of pulling off the tailshaft housing and swapping out sensor and pick up.
However there is another sensor that I can't find any info on. It is located on the left hand side towards the front of the trans,just aft of the bellhousing. Can anyone tell me what this might be and if it is need for a 95'? I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank You.

That's the input speed sensor (it's right between the shifter linkage bracket and the transmission housing, right?) and you can just leave it unplugged, but installed, to keep transmission fluid from leaking out. 97 and earlier XJs/MJs had no input speed sensor, so it is more of an appendix than anything else when you put a 98-01 transmission in a 97 and earlier vehicle.

Back