• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Narrow down a mis-fire issue

XJpax

NAXJA Forum User
I live in northern Maine, so it has been exceptionally cold up here (as most of the country). The Jeep hasn't really had any issues, but the last few mornings when I've started it, it catches for a half second then dies, but goes on teh second attempt no problem. I attributed it to the cold.
Today, I was cruising along at 35, nothing special, when it starts to sputter a bit and hesitant to speed up. Light comes on, starts blinking quickly, and I pull over and run the codes. 0204 and 0304. I would not be surprised if it was summer and I had heatsoak issues, but its 3* outside. I pop the hood and poke around, everything seems connected and visually fine. I start it up, no problem, runs fine again for a couple of miles, then same issue. I got a ride home because I didnt want to kill the CC, but where should I start since its so darn cold out? I have to limit my exposure since I dont have a garage and am on a budget. Should I just replace the injector and inspect the wiring? or should I look into the check valve first? is my difficulty starting from the cold or is it related? Thanks

check injector wiring especially where it bends around the rear of the fuel rail. there have been a few issues where the wiring chafes through and shorts to the fuel rail. The P0204 is probably the cause of the P0304. So i suggest you deal with that first before sweating the 304.

X2. The injector could also be developing an intermittent open as well. You can check the resistance across the injectors. I don't like this method but if all the others are close to each other and the one in question is different it could be a good indicator its failing. Good news is if that's the case it won't destroy your cat.

Back