• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Filters

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ, I6, AC with the AW4 - I am thinking of changing my transmission filter. Autozone has one for $22, Local Napa $42 and stealership $150. Does anybody know if there is any difference in the quality.
Also do you guys use the gasket that comes with it or just RTF. Thanks!

Thought the AW4 just had a screen?

Correct, Just a screen, If there is anything in it, Just clean it out & reinstall.
If there are no problems with the tranny & the fluid looks OK I would not even bother taking the pan down, Just drain via the drain plug & refill.

Correct, Just a screen, If there is anything in it, Just clean it out & reinstall.
If there are no problems with the tranny & the fluid looks OK I would not even bother taking the pan down, Just drain via the drain plug & refill.

Yup. Check it again in a coupla weeks and see how the fluid looks. If it got dark, change it again.

Remove, spray with brake cleaner make sure no metal bits get flushed out, reinstall

When I opened up my 1990 AW4 with the original 240k on it, the filter had a thin film of, well, just a film. No crud, crap, cigarette butts or dead mice. I was amazed. No metal shavings on the magnets and nothing in the filter.

You gotta love that.

When I opened up my 1990 AW4 with the original 240k on it, the filter had a thin film of, well, just a film. No crud, crap, cigarette butts or dead mice. I was amazed. No metal shavings on the magnets and nothing in the filter.

You gotta love that.

I hate to admit it, but I have never changed a filter on an AW4. Only drained and refilled 3.8 quarts of fluid as needed. I did however always replace the drain plug gasket with a factory new one. Does that count for something?

You gotta love that.

I kinda don't like seeing a filter that is totally clean. My mind then goes to, where is all the junk, is the filter not working lol. I'd rather see a dirty filter because then I know it did its job.

I hate to admit it, but I have never changed a filter on an AW4. Only drained and refilled 3.8 quarts of fluid as needed. I did however always replace the drain plug gasket with a factory new one. Does that count for something?

Yes, a new washer will save your tranny everytime. Just think of the possible occasional drip. I too have only done the 3.8 drain and fill. Never had a single problem with funky fluid, always red and clean.

I kinda don't like seeing a filter that is totally clean. My mind then goes to, where is all the junk, is the filter not working lol. I'd rather see a dirty filter because then I know it did its job.

What junk? There is hopefully no exposure to the air, dirt, or exterior crap. The only thing the filter would be filtering out is varnishes that have dislodged, chunks of metal, and bits of RTV. So either there isn't any of that (due to regular changes and servicing) or the filter is useless anyway.

The filter is just a mesh - I saw the new ones in the part store. When I changed my transmission fluid last year I did see a few small bits of what looked like brass in the fluid. I think the transmission had had ATF+4 in it from a Dealer flush - I changed it back to Dexron III. I know that is the recommended fluid but actually it seemed to shift smoother on the ATF+4.
So do you think I shouldn't bother changing the filter I wasn't sure if the mesh may have torn and got a hole in it.

To answer your last question in the first post, use a gasket. Don't use RTV.

If you use RTV there is a chance you will destroy the pan if you ever have to remove it again.

Just put a couple small dots (about the size of a pencil eraser) of RTV or Permatex #1, maybe 3-4 per edge, around the perimeter of the pan. Put the gasket in place, align the holes and let it set up.

When you install the pan make sure you don't over torque the bolts. This will squeeze the gasket out and cause a leak.

I forget what the torque value is, but it's not much at all.

Another RTV note. Just apply enough so that you can see it. I use my finger to spread a very light coating. Remember that is it squeezes out on the outside, it most likey is on the inside as well. Which is asking for the stuff to get into places it should never be in.

Back