• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

05 KJ with LSD. Change to Open

burntkat

NAXJA Member #1145
I have an 05 Liberty Renegade, 4x4, 6spd, 3.7, ChryCo 8.25...., 1 previous owner was a non-wheeler, and the LSD has severely chipped spider gears.

Spider gears are unavailable to R&R, so no easy fix. Can't even find a takeout carrier on Fleabay to steal them from.

Can't swing a full R&P job at present, and much prefer to do the work myself (with my son's help, who just happens to be a mechanic at the Jeep dealer, so has access to all the tooling)..

The ring and pinion passed inspection, so here's what I am thinking -

'downgrade' to open. I can get carriers cheap (80 or so), and transfer over my ring gear. We are advised to replace the pinion bearings no matter which way we go, as they are a known issue in the 8.25. So basically do half the work of a full R&P, and run on the open carrier for a while.

Is there ything I am overlooking in this? I can't swing a rebuild right now, I just put 2 grand in the vehicle.

At some point in the next year or so, replace the spiders with an Aussie Locker.

Of course, ideally, someone knows of a lunchbox locker that will work in a LSD carrier, in which case do please let me know in a reply...

What about just getting a whole axle out of a wreck? Then you could swipe the spiders out of that for the current axle, and you could defer the rebuild until later (or work it on the side and swap the entire axle in later)?

That is of course an option, but I already have 2 Dana 44s in the yard for another project. Also, I am not sure what to look for to find a 3.55 ratio open diff complete axle

So I have verified onthe build sheet that it has the Anti-Spin option.

This is of course, the locrite/LSD that my investigation has lead me to believe I had.

Does that mean it's got LSD front and rear? I haven't investigated up front yet

Back