• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE HELL THIS IS??

That's not a freakin precat. It's a resonator.

Only 00-01 had a precat (two in fact) and they are directly below the exhaust manifolds, in fact they bolt to them.

The whole "there isn't anything inside it" part means it isn't a precat, too.

The "w/Converter" part in the parts catalog description just means that part number downpipe was designed to bolt to a catalytic converter, not for markets where leaded fuel was still used.

Idk if it's lined as I haven't cut my exhaust off yet. That picture was from another members post. I'm in the process of getting ready to turbocharge my xj and was making sure it wasn't a cat. I appreciate the response from you guys!

It isn't lined, and it can (and is) still a resonator without being lined.

A resonator is simply a (usually empty) cavity that resonates at a frequency chosen to alter the exhaust note an exhaust system produces, whether it's designed to amplify some frequencies that make the exhaust sound better or suppress others that make an exhaust sound fartcanny.

I'm in the process of getting ready to turbocharge my xj and was making sure it wasn't a cat.

Right or wrong, California has latched onto that as an emission related item, and everyone from the lousy DMV to exhaust manufacturers, and local shops throw around the term 'pre-cat' here - just because it's before the cat. Nobody here will touch them because of that. It was part of the "Emissions-California - $170" option on my 98, that my non-Cali XJ does not have. Although it's odd to call it an option, when it isn't one.
It's been discussed before with the Socal peeps, probably not an issue where you are at all.

It isn't lined, and it can (and is) still a resonator without being lined.

A resonator is simply a (usually empty) cavity that resonates at a frequency chosen to alter the exhaust note an exhaust system produces, whether it's designed to amplify some frequencies that make the exhaust sound better or suppress others that make an exhaust sound fartcanny.

I do not know about the non lined ones but I ran this for about six months http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-12512400/ to reduce the drone at certain RPM's after installing the Rusty's 2.5" cat back after which I replaced it with a catalytic converter. It is lined asbestos and perforated steel and is directional. It worked OK in my opinion but replacing the last 18" of the 2.5" pipe with the OEM unit made the biggest difference and at the same time I regained the lost low end torque.

Yeah that California emissions package is a pain in the @ss!!! I noticed it is more CEL prone or at least seems that way. I have a '98 XJ with 49 State and a '98 with 50 State. The California garbage is temperamental as hell!

Back