• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Identify this diff? (Locker? Limited Slip?)

Red91Laredo

NAXJA Forum User
I found a guy selling what he says is an OEM XJ limited slip for a decent price, but he doesn't know if it's out of a D35 or an 8.25". He sent these pics, and to me it looks like more of a locker or some kind of aftermarket limited slip, but I don't really know. Can anyone tell me what kind of diff this is, and which rearend it would fit? I apologize for the blurry pics, I guess they're the best he could do.

diff1_zps6227990f.jpg

diff2_zps9205218b.jpg

Yeah I was thinking it looks like an Auburn too.

The seller told me the diff has these markings on it: 1667 J7 19 110 U5C

Apparently the gears he's also selling are marked Richmond, so to me that would suggest the diff is aftermarket as well...

Looks like the auburn i had in my old 8.25.

There should be a part number stamped on it

If he cant find it count the splines. If 29 then there's your answer. 27 still a mystery.

Good advice on counting splines/ring gear diameter, I should have thought of that.

If it is an Auburn and will fit my 8.25, what is the general consensus on them? I've heard they're a good limited slip, but how effective are they for off road use? I'd love a locker but don't want sketchy handling in the snow and a selectable is way out of my budget for the foreseeable future.

I've got a 27 spline Auburn in my 94's rear 8.25. <shrug> I've been happy with it, especially when it doubled as a DD.

I'm not sure how well they work for tires smaller than 33's, but they suck for big tires. I'm sure it has helped me somewhere, but I've had to play the e-brake when I get into a bind more than a few times. You're right about auto lockers though. I drove a friends jeep with a detroit in the rear, and it was a bother around corners. I would really just continue to save your coin until something better rolls along.

Back