• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

55W Driving/Fog Lights

Cherikon

NAXJA Forum User
I would like some feedback on the best 55W Driving/Fog lights that people have used or recommend. I don't want to spend more than $100 and I will be mounting them on top of the stock bumper (where the 2 holes with the plastic plugs are located) of my 95 Sport.

I am looking at KC 46 Series and Hella 450 Series Square lights (like to keep the boxy XJ lines going)...

So any info/insight with this would be appreciated- ALSO pics are worth more than words, so do it up!:D

L8,
Coullt

I've got Kc daylighters and Hella 500's and personally won't be buying any hella's again anytime soon. For the money get some wally world cheapies. The quality was pretty poor and the directions sucked. The KC's were more money but much brighter and came with very simple instructions and they are much better quality. So IMHO I'd go with the KC, but thats just from my experience. Hope this helps.
-Steve D.

I have the Hella 500 lamps with the clear fog beam and love them. They throw a wide beam that helps you see all around as well as straight ahead better. Regardless of what brand you get I'd recommend a fog type lamp unless you are into high speed desert night racing.
IM000061.JPG

I would recomend the hellas 500. I have a lot of them and they are pretty sturdy, not to mention I can get the spots for 45 bucks a pair!

Here is my 98 with the hella 450's under the bumper where they work best as fogs.
http://www.rjpsystems.com/jeepnoselow01.jpeg
You might want to consider getting a set of Hella E codes with 55/65w with white xeon bulbs to start, not a big 'visual impact' improvement from the outside but a nice improvement from behind the wheel.

the little ones on the bumper -
stod02.jpg

some cheapie pep boys fog lamps...
Cost about $20, 55 watts... done...

I have had two sets of Hellas, both where junk. The first set of 500's just had a horrable beam patteren for a driving light. The second set of fog lights cracked and the lens fell out in about two/three weeks of installing them. I have a set of IPF 968's now, and they are awsome. http://arbusa.com/ipf_usa_968_868.htm They are a 55w light, but I got a set of 100w bulbs for them. I've been running the 100w bulb for the two years I've had them with no problems. I also have a set of 55w 5x7" ProComp lights on the rear of my rack, and they would make a good set of driving lights too. I also have some of there round ones for the front of the rack, but have yet to install them.

DSCF1157.jpg

Last edited:
If you get the SilverStar headlight replacements, you might not need the auxillary lights. I sure don't need them now.

cracker said:
If you get the SilverStar headlight replacements, you might not need the auxillary lights. I sure don't need them now.

The reason I am looking into the lights is a few years ago, me and the wife drove down from WA to CA in a blizzard. The lights on the 96 XJ I had got caked so quick in the storm that I had to stop like every 20 minutes or sooner to clean them off- we will be going back up to WA for this Christmas and I don't want any suprises again, so I thought driving/fog lights would be a good idea for driving through another snow storm, should there be one.

That is what I am after- so replacing the stock headlights really wouldn't solve the problem- good idea though.

I have also thought about light covers fabbed out of some plexi glass for the stock head lights.

Spray your lights with PAM or some other cooking oil, keeps even ice from sticking to them.

When I was a kid I wanted to be either a garbage man or a brain surgeon. Do folks understand that there is a world of difference between fog and driving lights? The terms (and lights) are not interchangable.

The improvement gained by replacing your headlights with "e code" Hella or Cibie lights will far outshine (sorry) ANY other light upgrade. You can buy all the parts store junkers you want and nothing will come close the the gain from "e codes".

The icing issue is a non-issue with "e codes", since they will melt snow a couple inches out.

Of course none of this caters to the cool factor, just technical excellance.

I agree with you completely on the whole issue of people not understanding the differences and thinking it doesn't matter.

Here's a question.. I am running the IPF H4 conversion.. have you seen a comparison between these and the e code Hella's or Cibie lighting? Basically, when I get the money, I will be retrofitting Bosch projectors into my light bucket... but in the meantime, I want to get the best bang for the buck I have at the moment.

Unrelated to your post, but related to the original.. I run a set of KC fogs that have been used in the heaviest rain our area has seen in a while... 3" of rain in 1 hour at one point! I love them. They greatly improve my vision at night (whether it be foggy or clear).

Random_9_6_06_0411.sized.jpg

"Higher" res:
http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/reader-rigs/albums/Random-Pics/Random_9_6_06_0411.jpg

Shogun said:
When I was a kid I wanted to be either a garbage man or a brain surgeon. Do folks understand that there is a world of difference between fog and driving lights? The terms (and lights) are not interchangable.

The improvement gained by replacing your headlights with "e code" Hella or Cibie lights will far outshine (sorry) ANY other light upgrade. You can buy all the parts store junkers you want and nothing will come close the the gain from "e codes".

The icing issue is a non-issue with "e codes", since they will melt snow a couple inches out.

Of course none of this caters to the cool factor, just technical excellance.

I have seen no comparisons of IPF lights. In fact I know nothing of them, except seen them advertised. Same as PIAA brand, they've got a good advertising budget, almost cant avoid them, but I have no info on performance.

Now, Hella and Cibie have been around for a long time, and they know their business, and have been the benchmark in performance and technical innovation. I see no reason to not purchase them for a newcomer or popular brand. I am willing to spend a few extra $ for the quality/performance.
Most discussion on these brands indicate that Cibie has a slight edge in performance, slight.

I have not seen any justification to convert or prefer "projector" beams. Even in the auto enthuseast community there is disagreement on just how much practical improvement they provide. Theoretical, yes, actual is debatable. Then throw in the cost, $1500 vs $200 and I see no clear cut advantage. Then consider damage/replacement and it just gets more rediculous. I also understand that there is a theft issue. No, I dont need to look like the kids in thier civics that bad. Thus far they seem to be engineering run amuk.

YMMV

Do you happen to have the actual part # for the Hella E-code lights? I work for a Jeep Aftermarket Parts company and we sell basically anything related to Jeeps, or can special order it. The IPF's have a very clear cut off, along with the passenger side angled up slightly (for signs and such). They are great, but I always want better. Had I had a part # originally for Hella e-code's, I would've gone with them. I will probably sell or trade my IPF's for the E-codes.

In regards to projectors. I've been a member of the forums at: http://www.hidplanet.com/ for years and have been doing my research. You can do a projector setup yourself, known as a retrofit, for an extremely inexpensive price. They sell anything needed to do this. You can purchase the Bosch projectors for $100-$200. They sell complete, TRUE Xenon HID conversion kits for $350-$600 depending, including Bi-Xenon kits! This is the way I would go if I had the time/money.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves:
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16085

Shogun said:
I have seen no comparisons of IPF lights. In fact I know nothing of them, except seen them advertised. Same as PIAA brand, they've got a good advertising budget, almost cant avoid them, but I have no info on performance.

Now, Hella and Cibie have been around for a long time, and they know their business, and have been the benchmark in performance and technical innovation. I see no reason to not purchase them for a newcomer or popular brand. I am willing to spend a few extra $ for the quality/performance.
Most discussion on these brands indicate that Cibie has a slight edge in performance, slight.

I have not seen any justification to convert or prefer "projector" beams. Even in the auto enthuseast community there is disagreement on just how much practical improvement they provide. Theoretical, yes, actual is debatable. Then throw in the cost, $1500 vs $200 and I see no clear cut advantage. Then consider damage/replacement and it just gets more rediculous. I also understand that there is a theft issue. No, I dont need to look like the kids in thier civics that bad. Thus far they seem to be engineering run amuk.

YMMV

I dont have a part munber. Suggest standard web search for Hella, it is a standard Euro 7" square lamp. Normal bulb is 55/60 I think, I upgrade to 55/100, you will need wiring upgrade in the vehicle for the 100w bulbs.

I would get Cibie if available. Both use good quality lead crystal and the beam cutoff is very good. I got my last set from here;

http://www.talbotco.com/index.htm

Your link is password protected.

Back