• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NO-HEAT/Variable-HEAT ; BLEND DOOR...and, PREemptive recommend w/RADIATOR replacement

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
Can't find my recent post, but wish to, most-sincerely and greatly, THANK the gent who advise re the https://heatertreater.net blend door replacement kit, which enables door replacement WITHOUT removal of the dash! (IF the link is a no-no, and is removed/with my apologies, please just search 'heater treater' )

I had done the core replacement, a few years ago, and did not wish to have to
go through the whole process again, to remedy the no-heat/low-heat problems over the last two winters.... This outfit offers a well-engineered kit, with stainless door, on stainless shaft, with neoprene covering for sealing, and directions/cut template to do it right through the heater box, from below once the motor/drive is removed, saving the box removal. WELL-worth the price of admission, especially since it gives a once-and-ever-done solution.

I will mention, that I had to trim a bit of the neoprene away, at the outer edge of the door, to enable free-enough movement but, otherwise, worked great, and....
now, I can melt-solid a box of choc-covered cookies, sitting on the seat...:)

- I made a thin-but-stiff cardboard template, from the cut-out shape they
provide in the instructions.

- DO note that the half-round vertical channel in the box structure, is only to
receive the short flap on the OEM door, opposite the main flap, NOT to house
the main shaft of the door.

- The directions mention the 'two screws' that hold the motor/drive unit, but...
on the '99, there are three hex-head screws.

- I did use a Dremel, with cut-off wheel, AND...it all needs to be done through
a mirror. A bit painstaking, but doable.

- They provide AL tape to close the incision, but...I used two pieces of
electrical tape to hold the slug in place, then progressive applications of
plastic welder, with good effect.

- IF you need to replace the motor-gear drive unit, Morris 4x4 offers the OEM
unit for $44. Though, they are said to be long-lived and infrequently fail.

WOULD that I had been aware of the eventual likelihood of door failure, WHEN
replacing the heater core...as it woulda been a no-brainer to install this kit,
preemptively, THEN. Still, most thankful to have avoided the box removal, and....
...again, what heat she is blowin', even with the somewhat-reduced running temp
from larger-cap radiator, Hessco pump, relieved 'stat housing, etc...!!

Hope this info. helps other XJers.... Thos. Jefferson spoke of the importance of
'the general diffusion of knowledge'....which, of course, therein referred to that
info. vital for We The People to know, to protect the Republic (sadly, it hasn't been heeded, in more-recent times, and...the result is obvious, and becomking
'obviouser', day-by-day...), but also applies to matters of lesser-import, such as one's ability to keep the buttsky warm, and...melt the snow 'n ice in the frigid temps...

Back