• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cab floor liner and inner frame coatings, reccomendations

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
Name of the game is rust prevention.

I'm looking for recommendations on floor liner coatings, high durability and Waterproof.

Secondly and the one I'm really in the air about. Inner frame coatings.
Do you all have preference to wax based vs something that cures to coat inner frame rails?
Ive seen some UK based folks prefer the wax type coatings to prevent moisture getting to metal, rather than paint.

Thoughts?

I think the biggest problem with the inner frame rails is how are you getting it in there — I’ve seen some undercoat products in a spray can with a hose attached — the end of the hose has a 360* nozzle

Stick the hose and nozzle into the frame rail, start spraying and pull out slowly

As for the floors — I’m using chassis saver — they have a heavy duty silver coating with aluminum infused in it — then I may topcoat with monstaliner

I have seen the wax type "cavity coatings" with said 360 degree nozzle. Is the xj really galvanized, is there any reason to coat inner rails?

I'll look up chassis saver, that's interesting they put aluminium in it.

Fluid film is not a permanent treatment, but it is amazing stuff. On my plow truck i used to coat the entire undercarriage twice a year. Once in the fall before the snow and road salt started and once in the spring after it was all gone. I would go to the self serve car wash and pressure wash the undercarriage then coat everything. The truck never showed a bit of new rust as long as I kept coating it. Once I retired the truck and stopped it rusted pretty quickly. If you already have rust, fluid film will stop it from progressing. I had a bare steel section of my plow frame(paint had flaked off) that had heavy surface rust. As a test I sprayed fluid film on half of it. After a season of plowing and lots of road salt the section I coated looked just like it did before. Still rusty, but no worse. The section I left uncoated rusted even more. Fluid Film is made from sheep wool oil. It is a waxy spray on oil and is similar to cosmoline that old car parts used to be packed in. They have been using it for years to coat the water ballast tanks of large ocean going ships.

Back