• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4/ np 242 no engine, exhaust in the way

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
Alright folks,
I thought I was good to go on my engine reinstall so here's a scenario I haven't read about yet.

.99 auto
.Engine removed, new engine ready to go in
. HAD a trans cross drop which I removed before engine removal, cross is bolted up normal, exhaust was routed when it had the drop:doh:
Thus is moving the down pipe inward not allowing the engine with exhaust bolted on to mount.

.I prefer not to cut the exhaust if I don't have to, I do have welder and grinder if needed. Very inexperienced at welding.

I need to know how the trans weight will behave if it is fully unbolted from the frame. I have a jack stand under the bell now with it fully bolted up, no drive shafts.

What is my safest option guys?

Thank you, it's just me and an awkward situation, I don't want to get squished lol

Can you take exhaust loose elsewhere then ratchet straps it away from the engine just to get it out of the way?

If not a trans Jack would be safest and easier. You could likely rent one or go to harbor freight.

Can you take exhaust loose elsewhere then ratchet straps it away from the engine just to get it out of the way?

If not a trans Jack would be safest and easier. You could likely rent one or go to harbor freight.

I've taken your advice, though before trying this I honestly didn't think it would work. The exhaust was way in front of the trans. I ratcheted the hell out of it and it's pissed, but out of the way.

Is flex pipe a bad idea,I wonder if it doesn't go back if this would also help the header not crack?

Either way thank you, I honestly wouldn't even have tried it after how it had looked lol, but hell it did work.

Back