• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" lift, Long shackle or Add-a-Leaf?

Weekender

NAXJA Forum User
Considering a little lift for our '01 XJ which is stock, riding on 235/75r15s Wranglers. The most we do off-road are camping trails which may be washed out. No rock-crawling.

Also don't want to get into needing a SYE or other mods but if necessary could go for a Hack-n-Tap and front DS for the rear. But that's more than we're really interested in. This is a DD and son will be driving it to and from college.

So, kits with a 2" front spring spacer and either an AAL or long shackle are plentiful.

Opinions?

This is really more for "looks" than need. The son would like a little more aggressive stance.

Weekender.

Maybe just find a spare pack for cheap, and add one leaf to your current pack. Search bastard pack on here. I just did an xj/xj pack for about 3 inches of lift. The stiffer spring rate gave it a better ride in my opinion... Plus if you decide at a later date to go higher then you can add an extended shackle.

Thanks. I can find leaf packs in the U-pull-it yard.

Any concern about shock length with a 2" lift? Topping out?

Weekender

they will be the limiting factor in how much downward travel the axle will have, but not entirely necessary to replace them.

Use a full length Add-a-Leaf or build a bastard pack. Longer shackles on factory stock leaf springs aggravates sagging. The shocks will likely be fine, if you are highly concerned about the shock length, buy longer shacks, or install bar pin eliminators or shock mount spacers.

you could move the shock mounts up in the rear and definitely use the same ones.

I did a 2" lift just by buying new Dorman leafs and running an MJ shackle.

Up front a 2" spacer to match it, was fairly level if not rear high.

Here it is with 30's

0J4cUIZh.jpg

Leafs are Dorman 929-301
Coil springs are CC778

Both came from amazon.

The Crown Up Country replacement leaf is a good choice, I have used these with and without a full length add a leaf (Iron Rock # 10455) and the hold up well.

With the add a leaf and stock shackles you will likely net a 2" lift over stock ride height, YMMV depending on the current state of your springs.

IMO, the first mod to the rear suspension should be shackle relocators. The shackle angle is crappy on a stock height XJ, let alone when you lift it.

IMO, the first mod to the rear suspension should be shackle relocators. The shackle angle is crappy on a stock height XJ, let alone when you lift it.

^ this. Will net you 2" with extended shackles.

I just have a hard time recommending time/money spent on suspension mods for aesthetics.

Even if it’s only logging trails and wash-outs, I would get so much more peace of mind knowing that my suspension was “over-done” for my purposes.

My recommendation would be a 3” kit with new springs all the way around (or at very least, new spring packs). It may be more $$ up front, but the kits will not require any drivetrain mods or cause steering issues...not to mention you get the benefit of knowing your rig can get you out of more difficult situations, if need be.

I ran a 4.5” short-arm kit for a decade with extended rear shackles. The TC drop and shims, while not optimal, kept the driveline in great shape.

I hate the saying, “buy once, cry once,” but at some point there’s a lot of truth to it.

Just sayin’...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2000 got a 2 lift, mostly for looks. When I took it to Moab aside from banging on a lot of rocks it did very well. Eventually it got lifted much higher.

My 1999 DD has a 3 inch lift, mostly for looks. I installed an RE 2.5 AAL and an extra stock leaf, both removed from the 00, and a set of Rusty's front coils. I found a set of almost new Bilstein 4600's on a junkyard ZJ, so in total I have $250 in the whole lift.

Last edited:
Back