• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"custom" leaf Shackle

Sherman_thetank

Keep it pinned!
What is everyone thoughts on this. Iv been contemplating doing this, but the halfass-ness is pretty high...anyone tried this, had any luck?
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/homebrew-shackles-sorta-43324/
16126d1270257398-homebrew-shackles-sorta-p2170001.jpg
16127d1270257398-homebrew-shackles-sorta-p2170002.jpg

I wouldn't do it, that's a lot of stress on those welds especially for a key suspension component. It will also require some shims so that your leaf bushing won't be moving around in there. I would box that whole top section in with 1/8" if I did do that. Hope you can trust your life and others with your welding abilities.:D

Besides being 75% ghetto and needing a washer on each side of the bushing for spacing, it would work fine. There is plenty of weld surface area to make it hold.

run it, let darwin do his thang.

but seriously, you couldnt have rounded out those 90degree edges any?
and as has been said, it's gonna need washers (design failure, imho)

my thoughts? if i built something like that, i'd run it, but i WOULDNT post pics of it!

I do not see what is wrong with it,... :eyes: . Add shims/washers between the spring and shackle as needed then go out and enjoy your creation. :thumbup:

I wouldn't do it, that's a lot of stress on those welds especially for a key suspension component. It will also require some shims so that your leaf bushing won't be moving around in there. I would box that whole top section in with 1/8" if I did do that. Hope you can trust your life and others with your welding abilities.:D
X2. You could avoid the washers by bending the plates in two places each so that they neck down to the right width.

my thoughts? if i built something like that, i'd run it, but i WOULDNT post pics of it!
X2 :roflmao:

a set of lift shackles isn't that expensive imo
Yeah... and that's a pretty goofy amount of lift happening here.

If I was going to do something like this, I'd get a piece of 2.5 x 1/4" square tubing long enough to make the shackle, a piece of tube to fit the upper bushing required, weld the two together (cutting and bending the upper end of the square tubing to make it fit into the 2.5" shackle box) and then open up and drill the lower end of the square tubing as required. The OEM shackles are nowhere near heavy enough to be weakening by welding quarter inch plate to them, and the added stress from the extensions makes it worse.

Ya i did NOT build this i was looking for an inexpensive way to get some longer rear shackles...i have to admit this did cross my mind :anon: but in the end i came to the same though..might be alittle to sketchy to try.

If I was going to do something like this, I'd get a piece of 2.5 x 1/4" square tubing long enough to make the shackle, a piece of tube to fit the upper bushing required, weld the two together (cutting and bending the upper end of the square tubing to make it fit into the 2.5" shackle box) and then open up and drill the lower end of the square tubing as required. The OEM shackles are nowhere near heavy enough to be weakening by welding quarter inch plate to them, and the added stress from the extensions makes it worse.
I was thinking about somthing to this effect, but not with square tube with some 1.5 x 1/4" DOM i have laying around, then build basicly a box from plate for the mount for the leaf spring but im thinking it will be easier to just pony up the cash for one.

Back