• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pressure Regulator

ilikefish0

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 4 cylinder with the regulator in the tank. Recently, the regulator decided to stop regulating. I replaced the assembly with a junkyard unit that seems to work, but, given that this is likely to fail, I'm trying to see if replacing just the regulator is possible.

I have disassembled the regulator housing, and the operating bit inside is stamped with a pentastar and the number 4669239 2215, which does not seem to be a valid part number. Most vendors list part number 53005801 or 53030001 as the fuel pressure regulator for my year, but the spec on this seems to be 39 psi rather than the 49 psi listed in the fsm. Any guidance on what an appropriate regulator module for this application would be? Part number 5277829 (90-95 Caravan, among others) looks like it might work and is spec'ed at 50 psi.

The photo is of the regulator and the disassembled housing.
IMG_0062_zps8d6b9196.jpg

I wonder if your 96 is partly a 95? Is it OBD-II?

Interesting photo, they look a lot like the 87-90 Renix regulators on the fuel rails I have, but with some differences.

The door sticker says August 1995, so it's an early 1996. It has OBD2, but an odd parts mix. The regulator looks like the one that other years have on the rail, but, from what I can tell, the rail regulator is lower pressure than the required 49 psi for my year. The Caravan regulator looks like its the same size and has a close enough pressure, so I'm probably going to give that a try.

The door sticker says August 1995, so it's an early 1996. It has OBD2, but an odd parts mix. The regulator looks like the one that other years have on the rail, but, from what I can tell, the rail regulator is lower pressure than the required 49 psi for my year. The Caravan regulator looks like its the same size and has a close enough pressure, so I'm probably going to give that a try.

I would be real careful moving to a 49 PSI regulator! As there may have been a transition where they used a different fuel pump and lower pressure (like the label says on yours). Ask Crusier54 and some of the other experts here about the 95-96 transition (I am not an expert on it!!).

But I would be concerned about damaging the fuel pump going to 49 psi, if there was a transition!!!! And concerned the PCM might have issues with the higher pressure?

Renix and OBD-I was 30-39 psi, vacuum regulated on the rail.

Pressure on a 96 is 49psi +/- 2psi. Regulator is in tank and is part of the fuel pump/sender/hanger unit.
It is NOT external on the fuel rail at the motor,nor is it vacuum regulated.
Most part suppliers show the 95 external regulator as the correct part...wrong.

Pressure on a 96 is 49psi +/- 2psi. Regulator is in tank and is part of the fuel pump/sender/hanger unit.
It is NOT external on the fuel rail at the motor,nor is it vacuum regulated.
Most part suppliers show the 95 external regulator as the correct part...wrong.

Did you miss read something in prior posts? 95 model was OBD-I. This says 39 psi (link below), but it looks like the one the OP has in the tank, not on the fuel rail, but I can't see how it is plumbed from what I have to look at here. I have been told that the 96 was the year they went to 49 psi.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...WD/_/N-j1sfeZ8vd1h?itemIdentifier=221958_0_0_

Now this is odd, they show the 1996 as 39 psi also?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...egulator/_/N-8vd1h?itemIdentifier=221958_0_0_

This shows a new style at 49 psi in 1997?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...icleIdForService=260682751&_requestid=3858337

Last edited:
NO. First post says 96.
ALL 96 were 49psi.Regulator is in tank.There is no return line in the fuel system.And NOT vacuum regulated
According to the FSM..."the pressure regulator is not serviced separately"
entire fuel pump module must be replaced"
For My 96 i purchased 2 complete modules.Just to get the regulator.

Last edited:
NO. First post says 96.
ALL 96 were 49psi.Regulator is in tank.There is no return line in the fuel system.And NOT vacuum regulated
According to the FSM..."the pressure regulator is not serviced separately"
entire fuel pump module must be replaced"
For My 96 i purchased 2 complete modules.Just to get the regulator.

His third post says "August 1995" build date and post #1 "the operating bit inside is stamped with a pentastar and the number 4669239 2215, which does not seem to be a valid part number. Most vendors list part number 53005801 or 53030001 as the fuel pressure regulator for my year, but the spec on this seems to be 39 psi" in his first post. Also, I see that I pulled up the 6 cyl instead of 4 cylinder in my post below too.

Last edited:
Regulator on one of my spares is #4669239....1496...1A,,,Mopar Pentastar
Other regulator has no number I can see...
Build date doesn,t apply as his is OBDII .And is 49 psi
Probably ,why these # are not valid is because Chrysler no longer services this part.

My '96 Country was built in 8/95, has OBDII (plug under dash), and does put out 49 PSI at the rail, which has no regulator. Mine has a bad check valve, so I let it finish priming, and it starts fine. But it will lose all fuel pressure if it sits for a while. It's been like this for two years, and seems happy, so I leave well enough alone.

My '96 Country was built in 8/95, has OBDII (plug under dash), and does put out 49 PSI at the rail, which has no regulator. Mine has a bad check valve, so I let it finish priming, and it starts fine. But it will lose all fuel pressure if it sits for a while. It's been like this for two years, and seems happy, so I leave well enough alone.

I think the so called check valve, is in fact the regulator in the tank.

Back