• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 WJ interchangeability?

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
We wrecked our 01 Grand this morning and I was wondering if the engine would work in my 98 XJ? I know it has the place in the block for the distributor, so I don't think that'll be a problem. It's got 170K on the engine (that I know about) and runs great. Alot better condition than my poor 4.0L. Since I mainly DD my XJ now, I've been thinking about getting the CV front axle from one of these anyways, and now I have one in my driveway ready to be done with as I please. What's a good running 4.0L and D30 from a WJ worth? If buyback isn't but a grand or so I think it'd be worth it for them alone, and I can sell the A500 I just spent $2K on having it rebuilt to help recoup some funds as well.

The WJ was a real trooper and will be sorely missed, but maybe some pieces of it can still serve the family.

163697_10150105463390490_628430489_7922983_2924871_n.jpg

Take a good look at the way the belt-driven accessories are different/similar. I believe the ac unit is down low and alternator high on the wj, so you might end up using the 98's brackets. Do they share the same mounting points for the motor mount brackets? You'll be able to bolt your dizzy in. The 0331 head has smaller exhaust ports, so your current header will bolt right up. Hopefully it's not one of the crack-prone 99-01s.

I don't know which head it is and I was aware the brackets were different. Can you find the casting #'s on the outside of the head or does the valve cover have to come off? With 170K on it and the heads not cracked already, I guess it's probably the stronger casting.

front axle is LP... you dont want it. but the breaks and steering are highly desirable.

beyond that, the seats and wheels are about the only thing i would want.

i think its the ZJ alternator thats an easy swap too, idk if the WJ one is worth anything to us XJ owners.

front axle is LP... you dont want it. but the breaks and steering are highly desirable.

This not true in all cases. If he doesn't have a large lift, the LP will be just fine. He says he uses his XJ as a DD, so the LP may be just fine for him. If his XJ is lifted much more than 4" though, you're right, a HP D30 like he already has is better.

The XJ only has about 4" of lift and it's really all I want. It clears 31" tires good and does what I need done. I don't think that the LP D30 would make any difference, and I believe that the one in the WJ is geared 3.73, so all I'd have to do is re-gear the 8.25 to match. Is the WJ 30 the same width as the XJ/ZJ/TJ D30?

FYI - The bolt pattern in the 4.0L I-6 used in XJ is not the same pattern as the 4.0L in the WJ. That said, we do have and engine mount bracket that will bolt on to the WJ 4.0L engine and fit up to the XJ 'uni-frame.' (PN S2883-0 or SU2883-0) This bracket cannot be used on a WJ frame due to differing frame widths.

However there are numerous other considerations like trannie, manifold, accessory locations, wiring, etc. There are other NAXJA members who can address these issue better than I.

Here's a bit of background.
- Block thread boss locations are the same in all XJ, 87-95 YJ, 97-99 TJ.
- Jeep used a clean sheet design for a new 4.0L block starting with the WJ 1999-2004. This block was also used in the 2000-2006 TJ/LJ.

Its wider too.

How are the headlights? The headlights on my sisters 04 are pretty bad.

Also, If the brakes are not AKEBONO's they are not worth taking IMO.

Wheel bolt pattern on the WJ ia also different. Might be more work than its worth if you dont want to spend a lot of time money trying to make it, or just the brakes fit right.

You also might want to contact H8PVMT. He put a WJ 4.0 into a 2000 XJ.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1021386&highlight=Brown+Dog&page=5
exactly what I was gonna say. He and Art Triggs know exactly what you will be up against.

That front axle isnt even close to an xj, all the brackets are different.
yeah. Coils are spaced differently, brackets are different, width is different, it's low pinion, it has CV joints instead of U-joints, bolt pattern is 5 on 5 or 5 on 5.5 (I forget), etc. All you want off it are the knuckles, TREs, brakes, and maybe the steering if you want to cut/sleeve it instead of getting aftermarket steering links for a WJ swap. If you do the WJ swap you need WJ balljoints, a new trackbar setup, and $50 to several hundred dollars worth of fab parts from JKS depending on how you decide to do the steering links.

This not true in all cases. If he doesn't have a large lift, the LP will be just fine. He says he uses his XJ as a DD, so the LP may be just fine for him. If his XJ is lifted much more than 4" though, you're right, a HP D30 like he already has is better.

he already has a HP though... what good will a LP be? maybe taking the shafts and u-joints if its an upgrade from his early model (idk what year he has) and upgrading the unit bearings would be an option. but they are a different bolt pattern, so why? EDIT: forgot about it being a CV shaft instead of u-joints. no bueno...

but beyond that and the breaks, its really no good.

unlessss.... i may have read wrong. but does the LP and HP 30 both use the same carrier? if the WJ is geared to 3.73 (which it wont be unless it has a D44a in the rear) then the carrier would be good for a gears if he wanted to down the road.

It did have the D44A rear, but we're letting insurance take it. We've got a new baby on the way so we're getting something bigger. We're looking to go back to GM with either a Tahoe/Yukon or 3/4ton Suburban.

We'll miss our little Jeep, but there isn't enough room for 3 child seats and we're looking at starting a little farm. So, I can get a 3/4 ton truck and a baby hauler all in one!

Back