• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idling question

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ever since i unplugged and reconnected my cps, my idle starts normal but then drops in rpms. It seems like its trying hard not to die. Is this just a case of having to re learn the idle? It sat for a good 18 hours without the ability to start.

2001 I6 4.0L
AW4 NP231

thanks broskey

... my idle starts normal but then drops in rpms. It seems like its trying hard not to die....

Clean the Idle Air Controller on the Throttle Body. It is the thingy with wires on the TB , closest to the valve cover.

Cleaning the Idle Air Controller (IAC) :

Purchase sensor safe Throttle Body cleaner spray.

1. Remove the Throttle body from the intake manifold.
2. Remove the IAC with a TORX 15 driver (2 bolts)
3. Gently wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body
4. Clean the IAC with throttle body cleaner (not carburetor cleaner) Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle as it is fragile and can be damaged easily
5. Also clean where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same throttle body cleaner
6. Reinstall IAC, the Throttle body, and check idle quality.

did you ever replace the cps or just unplug it and plug it back in and it started so you just keep driving it?

did you ever replace the cps or just unplug it and plug it back in and it started so you just keep driving it?

i never installed the new one. so far it has started at least 12 straight times with no issues.

put the new one in. if the old one let you down once already it will do it again but it will wait til your pregant wife is ready to go to the hospital at 3am and it's pouring down rain and ready to freeze and you will have to carry her to the hospital and home uphill both ways, naked... in a snow storm. you get what i'm saying... change it and see what happens, bet that helps.

x3 IAC.

Back