• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cylinder head bolts...?

Manimal

NAXJA Forum User
Are the head bolts suppose to be replaced(torque to yield) or are they reusable? This is on an '88 2.5. Thanks
-Lance

FSM says they can be reused one time. Many people will say replace them every time anyway. Personally, I think that is overkill, but it is safest to go by the book. On first re-use, the mechanic is suppossed to put a paint mark on them, but how do you really know that even happenned. Summit has a good price on the new bolts.

winterbeater is correct. one re-use, but most people replace them every time. replacing the bolts now is cheaper than tearing the whole thing back apart when you realize you have a head gasket leak.

Agree with Winterbeater and GrimJeeper.

Also, if the head has been surfaced one or more times, and the bolts are being re-used, you can end up with a poor torque on the head. I would go with new bolts.

ok, Thanks guys! I just checked out headbolts.com and they have them listed. I also looked at ARP's site and nothing. Are the 4.0 and 2.5 the same bolts?(4.0 will naturally have more in a kit) Thanks again
-Lance

I got an 88 Comanche from a friend for changing out a transfer case for him. It has a factory rebuilt 2.5 in it. It had bad gas and the varnish coated the valves and stuck them,so I had a valve job done and am putting it back together. I will eventually switch an HO 6 stroker. But for now I am going to run what I have. I think I will just order from headbolts.com the stock replacements.
-Lance

sorry to keep bringing this up, my friend at the machine shop that did the valve job said '89-up are torque to yield. That the book he has makes no mention of it before '89....what should I do? Cuz now I am really confused. Thanks
-Lance

just buy the head bolts because its damn cheap insurance. wouldnt want to throw it together to find out one is stretched. ive always replaced important fasteners like that whether it called for it or not...just cheap insurance. you can actually get some power out of that 2.5 if ya know a good machinist. :greensmok

Back