• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

switched from a pc to a mac

Ba-Riedo

has frame envy
I just got my new macbook pro and need to switch some files and videos.

Is there an easy way to get .avi and .wmv files to a format that a mac can read? Or a program I can download to watch these files?

-Alex

Get flip4mac..... It's a free plug-in for quicktime that allows you to play .wmv files. Quicktime should already be able to play .avi files.

What Johnny said. you can also get Total Video Converter and convert them into quicktime movies, if you'd rather just convert them and be done with it.

Hi, I'm a PC.

Hi, I'm a Mac... and I'm really just a PC too, but with a fancy case, slightly different firmware and software, and a bigger pricetag :moon:

Use whatever you want to, I'm simply in awe of Steve Job's ability to separate people from more money than the other guys building mostly the same thing. Bravo, Steve, well done!

</semi-troll>

im glad to hear it. mac is the best. i hate windows. even though im on a windows now. only cause i got poor for a while and could only afford this crap. good job on the new acquisition

A new truck and a new computer..

Sorry about your luck on the second one...

After the latest iPhone fiasco and Steve Jobs stupid response to the whole thing I will never own another Apple product again.

They make a good product but their whole business philosophy sucks and I really wish it would bite them hard enough in the ass to cause them to change the way they do business.

Handbrake is a good utility for file conversion. Also look into Toast.

I use VLC Media Player and it plays basically every file.

Hi, I'm a PC.

Hi, I'm a Mac... and I'm really just a PC too, but with a fancy case, slightly different firmware and software, and a bigger pricetag :moon:

Use whatever you want to, I'm simply in awe of Steve Job's ability to separate people from more money than the other guys building mostly the same thing. Bravo, Steve, well done!

</semi-troll>

LOL, you nailed it, brother.

Hi, I'm a PC.

</semi-troll>

UMMM Actually no! If you compare the specs of a MacBook Pro you can not by a comparable laptop from Dell or HP or anybody that is any cheaper. I have purchased every major brand for work and when you load up a Dell or HP they are just as expensive.

As for playing video, I use VLC on my Macs and my PCs. It is free and works great.

UMMM Actually no! If you compare the specs of a MacBook Pro you can not by a comparable laptop from Dell or HP or anybody that is any cheaper. I have purchased every major brand for work and when you load up a Dell or HP they are just as expensive.

Then build it yourself... It's not rocket science

Then build it yourself... It's not rocket science

We are not talking about a Tower/Desktop, we are talking about a laptop. Please refrain from talking about things you do not understand.

Lol please refrain from being a douchebag.

You can build laptops yourself as well as desktops. Go you!

I would suggest taking your own advice.

Last edited:
There's the OCZ DIY Notebook.

Asus, MSI, even alienware has bare bone kits, though I wouldn't pay for their name.

Back