• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I turn off the annoying "check engine" light?

Reindeer

NAXJA Forum User
Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I would like to find a way to turn this annoying light off. It's bugging me.
I have some electrical tape covering it.
I don't want to take it to a dealership. It's not worth the trouble.
Thanks.

1. Go to Autozone. They will read the codes for free.

2. Take info from code reader

3. Fix problem causing check engine light to come on.

Reindeer said:
Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I would like to find a way to turn this annoying light off. It's bugging me.
I have some electrical tape covering it.
I don't want to take it to a dealership. It's not worth the trouble.
Thanks.
The "Check Engine" light is trying to tell you that something is wrong with the engine control system.

The fault may be minor, or it may be major, and only a code reader (as posted by others) will tell you for sure. (I suspect whatever is wrong is minor, or you would be writing us about how your XJ is running crappy as well as having the check engine light on.)

If you DON'T address whatever is wrong, it's bound to get WORSE and then you WILL be writing us about how your XJ is running crappy (or maybe not running at all.)

The check engine light is not there to fill up space on the instrument panel.

AZ Jeff said:
The "Check Engine" light is trying to tell you that something is wrong with the engine control system.

I understand that it comes on at 75,000 miles to tell you to get regular maintenance also. I passed this a little while ago.
The engine has displayed this message starting at 75k, and I currently have 108K and change, so I don't suspect that the engine has a problem, but I will check it out anyway.

Thanks for the help. I will go to AutoZone and have it checked out.

if its an older xj,
from what i hear there is a little timer like thing under the dash and it trips the check engine light for that 75000 maint.
unplug it?
get a new one, from what ive heard

On the Renix (87 - 90) models there is a light that comes on at 75,000 to 80,000 miles as a reminder to change the O2 sensor. But it doesn't say "Check Engine" it says "Maintenance Required."

I'm not sure on the '92. Does it have both the "Check Engine" light connected to the on-board diagnostics and the 80,000 mile O2 sensor reminder light?

Eagle said:
On the Renix (87 - 90) models there is a light that comes on at 75,000 to 80,000 miles as a reminder to change the O2 sensor. But it doesn't say "Check Engine" it says "Maintenance Required."

So, how do you get rid of a light that is just a reminder?

AZ Jeff said:

The fault may be minor, or it may be major, and only a code reader (as posted by others) will tell you for sure. (I suspect whatever is wrong is minor, or you would be writing us about how your XJ is running crappy as well as having the check engine light on.)

If you DON'T address whatever is wrong, it's bound to get WORSE and then you WILL be writing us about how your XJ is running crappy (or maybe not running at all.)

The check engine light is not there to fill up space on the instrument panel.

I agree, and like others have said the maintenance required light and the check engine light are totally different. I see that your Jeep is a '92 so that means its OBDI and you dont need a scanner to get the codes off of it. You can do the key on off cycle and count the number of times that the check engine light flashes and it will give you a number and you can look up the number and it will tell you whats wrong. I can't remember the exact proceedure off hand but its really easy, I've done it before when my TPS went. Hopefully some one who does remember will post a link to the codes and/or tell you the exact proceedure. I dont want to guess and tell you wrong.

Its not OBDI, jeeps dont have that. Its theyre own renix system. the light wont go off until the timer is reset.

Eagle said:

I'm not sure on the '92. Does it have both the "Check Engine" light connected to the on-board diagnostics and the 80,000 mile O2 sensor reminder light?
Eagle--I had a '92, and it had TWO LIGHTS.

"Check engine"--this was the one that tells you that something is wrong with the control system, and functions basically the same for OBD-1 and OBD-II. (How you read codes, of course, varies between those two control schemes.)

"Maintenance Required"--this light was present on all OBD-I models, and is tied to mileage registered by the ECU. When the vehicle reaches 82,500 miles, the light comes on. It means that the O2 sensor is supposed to be changed (whether this is actually needed is NOT indicated by this lite). The only way this maint. req'd lite can be turned off is by using the Chryco proprietary DRB scanner. I just took the bulb out of the dash on mine to prevent it glowing forever.

So, on a 1992, ignoring the "check engine" lite is not a wise move.

AZ Jeff said:
Eagle--I had a '92, and it had TWO LIGHTS.

"Check engine"--this was the one that tells you that something is wrong with the control system, and functions basically the same for OBD-1 and OBD-II. (How you read codes, of course, varies between those two control schemes.)

"Maintenance Required"--this light was present on all OBD-I models, and is tied to mileage registered by the ECU. When the vehicle reaches 82,500 miles, the light comes on. It means that the O2 sensor is supposed to be changed (whether this is actually needed is NOT indicated by this lite). The only way this maint. req'd lite can be turned off is by using the Chryco proprietary DRB scanner. I just took the bulb out of the dash on mine to prevent it glowing forever.

So, on a 1992, ignoring the "check engine" lite is not a wise move.
Thank you, Jeff.

I thought that was the case, but I don't own any OBD-I era XJs so I had nothing to look at for confirmation.

AZ Jeff said:

AZ Jeff,
This is the one. Sorry for the confusion. I should have been more exact.
It's the "Maint Reqd" light. I also got the mileage mark wrong.

My O2 sensor is fine at the moment, but I will look into changing it sometime in the near future.

How do I pull back the dash to pull the bulb? I saw that RichP had instructions posted, but he has a '96. Is it the same for both models? His looks different than mine.

If it is the "Maintenance Required" light rather than the "Check Engine" light, it's controlled by a mechanical/electrical timer located in a small plastic box velcroed under the dashboard, approximately over your right knee. Just pull it down and unplug it. There is a write-up floating around the Internet on how to reset it, but if you're willing to remember to replace the oxygen sensor every 75,000 miles you don't need it.

[EDIT]Wait -- sorry, that's for an '88. I forgot that yours is a '92. I don't think that works for a '92. You'll have to yank the bulb.

RichP's dash looks different because it is -- he has a '97 not a '96. You first remove the trim bezel (two or three screws at the top, up from the "soffit") and two screws down low, one above the headlight switch and one above the cigar lighter. Then pull towards you. There are several friction clips holding the posrtion around the radio and heater control -- pull carefully so you don't break anything. You'll have to wiggle a bit to get the bezel out over the steering column.

Once the bezel is out of the way you'll see the several screws that hold the instrument cluster in the dash. Remove those and pull the cluster toward you. The lights are in tiny bayonet sockets that twist into the printed circuit. Find the one you wish to disable, turn it 90 degrees, pull the socket out. The bulb just pushes into the socket. You don't need to replace the socket, but you probably should just in case you or a future owner wants to reactivate the light.

Last edited:
Eagle,
Thanks for the suggestions.
I will follow these instructions to pull the bulb.
I appreciate your help.

To all,
It seems like ChryCo took great pains to have folks replace their O2 sensor on a regular schedule.
How important is it to replace the O2 sensor every 82.5 K miles?
(My XJ has 108K miles)
Should I have it replaced, even though it works fine (so far)?
Are their symptoms to look for if it starts to fail?

How much does this part cost?
What's involved in replacing it myself? Is it difficult?

They arent very expensive and they are very easy to replace. They typically last 80K miles or so but some last longer. When they fail they can cause a few different symptoms. The main one is very poor gas mileage.

O2 sensor screws into the exhaust pipe near the trans on a '92.

One connector, unscrew sensor, and reverse process to install new one. Cost of part at most parts houses is around $50 or so.

If you are still on the original oxygen sensor at 108,000 miles, it is highly unlikely that it is "working fine." Your Jeep may be running, but I'll bet it's not running as well, as smoothly, or as economically as it could/should.

I like a 75,000 mile interval because it's easier for my little brain the remember. 75,000 / 150,000 / 225,000 / 300,000. Easy.

Eagle said:
If you are still on the original oxygen sensor at 108,000 miles, it is highly unlikely that it is "working fine." Your Jeep may be running, but I'll bet it's not running as well, as smoothly, or as economically as it could/should.

How did I ever pass the Colorado emissions testing, which was done at 95K miles? Wouldn't a faulty sensor cause my XJ to flunk due to lots of unburned fuel? (I'm not being sarcastic here, I really don't know).

I need to get emissions tests done on my XJ soon to renew my registration.
If it passed two years ago, does it stand to reason that it will pass now?

Back