• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boomerang Shackles?

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
I need a set to get more flex out of my Alcan leafs. I was debating between the JKS and the Full Traction ones. Is there any difference in the length or angles? Thanks.

-Mike

Big Jeep 101 said:
I need a set to get more flex out of my Alcan leafs. I was debating between the JKS and the Full Traction ones. Is there any difference in the length or angles? Thanks.

-Mike

Actually they are needed because I have Tera shackles and the springs are a little longer and the shackle hits the back of the shackle mount box on flex and when I hit a big bump/dip.

Big Jeep 101 said:
Actually they are needed because I have Tera shackles and the springs are a little longer and the shackle hits the back of the shackle mount box on flex and when I hit a big bump/dip.

Nobody out there has any opinions? What are those with the BOR/Alcan 8" springs running for shackles?

-Mike

Shackle shape and shackle length are two different subjects!A boomerang shape will help the "hitting" but the length will affect the springrate and ride height as well as the loading on the springs.

Big Jeep 101 said:
Nobody out there has any opinions? What are those with the BOR/Alcan 8" springs running for shackles?

-Mike

im running Alcan 8"s and revolvers...i just installed the new leafs i'll let you know how the combo works out

Carl

Big Jeep 101 said:

-Mike

Maybe no one has run both the JKS (ORGS) and the Full Traction shackles, so they can't answer your question. How about a call to both places to get concrete info.

:rolleyes:

Well, I didn't get responses from those who have run either shackle. I wasn't asking for someone who has run both. If someone posted specs/pics of the JKS and another of the Full Traction then we could see the differences right? I thought Farmer Matt was running the BOR leafs but dunno what shackles he is running or if he just moved the mount down. It took over 2 days to get any replies anyway. :gonnablow

-Mike

I've never heard of anyone running Full Tractions boomerang shackles. They make good stuff, but it's not widely used. Since you asked about the difference between the two, that's a hard question to answer unless you have the exact right experience.

Make the calls....... :)

Goatman said:
I've never heard of anyone running Full Tractions boomerang shackles. They make good stuff, but it's not widely used. Since you asked about the difference between the two, that's a hard question to answer unless you have the exact right experience.

Make the calls....... :)

I guess I should take the time and make the calls. Get some lengths and misc info and then make the decision. IIRC both are out of stock for the next week or two so I have time to decide. You got any idea what Farmer Matt is running or maybe I'll PM him later on. Thanks.

-Mike

I'm running JKS shackles and BOR 6" leafs. Seems to work good for me atm, but honestly, haven't had the rig off road that much since lifting it. This weekend should be a good test.

I replyed to Big Jeep through his PM's, but thought I'd also post the info here...
FarmerMatt said:
Big Jeep 101 said:
I heard you are running a set of BOR/Alcan leafs. I don't know whether they are the 6" or 8" though. What shackle are you running in back? Did you do any mods to the way it mounts? Thanks in advance for your reply.

-Mike
I'm running the 8"s. Overall I'm happy with them, but I did have to make some changes. I bought a set of JKS boomerang shackles to run with them, but they ended up not having enough of a kick back to them to work well with the longer leafs. I had to build a set of shackles that had enough offset to them so the shackle wouldn't bottom out in the shackle box. I also had to cut out the back of the shackle box to get full motion. You may want to ask John John if he's made any changes since when I got mine.

Matt

Basically I cut the bottom ridge off the rear cross member & up the back of the shckle box as much as I felt comfortable. I also had to notch out the rear bumper to allow the spring eye to tuck up into it. In all reality the ORGS/JKS boomerang shackles didn't allow for much more clearance than the extended RE's I was running before. The shackles that I'm running now were originally the RE's that I hacked & turned into boomerangs. I wasn't too worried about adding bracing to the shacklt box as my roll cage ties into the shackle box on top. Here are a couple of pics I just snapped real quick.

Matt
shackle1.jpg

shackle2.jpg

Back