• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eaton e locker

xj5280

NAXJA Forum User
Any insight/reviews of the eaton e-locker? I am looking at throwing it in my hp 30 geared w/4.88 and 33's.

Oh and I just went red letter.... Took a lot from Naxja want to give back and WTH it's the holidays!

good man and go ARB. I have wheeled with people that have the e locker and IIRC it is a limited slip when not locked which I dont like.

I've removed more ARB's than I've installed.

I've been running Eaton E-Lockers in both axles since 08 without any issues what so ever.

Yours are in 44's correct? (Saw a few posts from you when searching). Are there any difference between the dirty thirty and the 44 as far as the carrier and locker go, specifically some thing that would lead to premature or undesirable wear?

good man and go ARB. I have wheeled with people that have the e locker and IIRC it is a limited slip when not locked which I dont like.

you're thinking ected -- totally different product. e lockers are simple and reliable. If I had two nickels to rub together the Z man would be putting one in the front of the WJ (also a D30 application).

i have an e locker in the rear (d44) and it has broken twice. it is not a limited slip when not locked, completely open. go zip or arb, screw eaton.

i have an e locker in the rear (d44) and it has broken twice. it is not a limited slip when not locked, completely open. go zip or arb, screw eaton.
How much wheeling do you do on it, and what kinda stuff do you wheel?
I know the answer but it is a relevant question to a prospective buyer.

Does it not take a lot of off road abuse to bust, but street and light trail driving ok?

OP, what kind of abuse/use does your rig see?

What broke on it specifically? Along with all the questions that in4aride brought up?

How much wheeling do you do on it, and what kinda stuff do you wheel?
I know the answer but it is a relevant question to a prospective buyer.

Does it not take a lot of off road abuse to bust, but street and light trail driving ok?

OP, what kind of abuse/use does your rig see?

It's no crawler, just a camping wheeling rig. Hardest trail that it really sees is Spring creek. Even then I am not trying to get thru the hardest lines just trying to ride a trail with the bigger rigs.

The only reason I am contemplating getting a locker up front was for snow/loose gravel climbs, moderate rock crawling, and piece of mind.

Even though I have 33's they are 33x10.50x15 with alloy wheels and stock shafts (760x). My first thought is that I am not putting a lot of weight from the tire/wheel combo on the axle itself, then secondly I would think my u joint would give before my carrier/locker/r&p.

Last edited:
Ok let keep it on topic guys.

I think for as light and mild as a set up as it sounds, either the eaton or arb sound fine.
If I remember right. Vanimal wheels pretty hard stuff, which it doesnt sound like you plan on doing.

Ok let keep it on topic guys.

I think for as light and mild as a set up as it sounds, either the eaton or arb sound fine.
If I remember right. Vanimal wheels pretty hard stuff, which it doesnt sound like you plan on doing.

Yea it looks like I would be safe with just the e locker. I just have tried to build this to be a reliable turn key rig, something that my wife or I can rely on when in the hills.

Well I am at just around 900 for the locker, shipping, and bearing kit from serious. I was goin to have Marc install it, Marc autos on 6th in Denver. Anyone have any experience with this guy? I was told 300 bucks and an afternoon. He comes highly recommended from some of the guys I wheel with.

What broke on it specifically? Along with all the questions that in4aride brought up?

It's no crawler, just a camping wheeling rig. Hardest trail that it really sees is Spring creek. Even then I am not trying to get thru the hardest lines just trying to ride a trail with the bigger rigs.

The only reason I am contemplating getting a locker up front was for snow/loose gravel climbs, moderate rock crawling, and piece of mind.

Even though I have 33's they are 33x10.50x15 with alloy wheels and stock shafts (760x). My first thought is that I am not putting a lot of weight from the tire/wheel combo on the axle itself, then secondly I would think my u joint would give before my carrier/locker/r&p.

For your wheeling style I would go with a lunchbox locker, I've been running 33x12.50x15, 4.56s, with MTR Kevlars and steelies which I see as a heavy combo (because my MJ with 35s and JK wheels seem lighter) has lasted a few years, the only thing I've had happen was a Ujoint cap fly out but some tack welds fixed that. I have no opinion on selectables because I haven't had a reason to go that route. I don't do the hardest trails out there but the jeep has put some work in.

If it was just me (not the wife) and wasn't expedition rig, then I would consider a lunch box. but I hated driving my old Wrangler with detroits on anything then just trails, and to be specific just carnage canyon cause it was a straight line just a lot of elevation changes :)

I am considering throwing a lunchbox in the 8.25. I tightened up the clutch packs in the LSD and it is doing pretty well so far

I'm a big fan of the ARB locker and have never personally had an issue with them. When I was out in Moab last year one of the guys in our group started having issues with his front ARB. Once we opened up the axle though it was discovered that the carrier bearing cap bolts has somehow loosened up and allowed all the shims on his Dana 60 work out.

The Auburn Ected is the limited slip selectable. It's a great concept but both the people I know that had then were never happy with them.

I personally am running a Spartan up front and a L/S 8.25 out back with 35" Krawlers on Allied beadlocks. Only 1 broken shaft and that was while backing up a steep muddy hill. I'm pretty happy with the setup except that with the locker up front (and the big heavy 35's) steering is a total pain when in 4 low. I'll eventually be going ARB or Yukon Zip locker (just because its cheaper and I've been very impressed with Yukon's stuff) so that I can turn the locker off for easier steering.

I had an E'cted in the 30 in my last cherokee. tempramental at best, never seemed to want to unlock. If the diff was cold forget about it working at all. :puke:

E-locker... never had my hands on one but have heard they work well.

Same as Dutch, I'm a big fan of ARB. They can be a pain if the installation isn't pitch-perfect.

Thank you all for the info!
I decided to go with the eaton e locker. With my rigs purpose and what my specs are it seemed reliable for my build.

Happy holidays to you and yours!

Back