• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First snow

XJNOOB93

NAXJA Forum User
First snow hit tonight here in Monument... I dk if it has anywhere else but I'm sure it has. Pikes Peak has had snow on it for a month or a lil longer.

LOTS of snow has come down so far and its supposed to go into tomorrow afternoon... and my 4 wheel drive is acting up... crappy.

Is it snowing right now anywhere else?

Why do you want negative temps???? I dont wanna wake up in the morning and have to let my horses out in -15 degree weather :laugh3:

I'm in the Heating and A/C biz. The more extreme the temps the better.

O haha gotcha. Well I'll pray with you that it gets to be really cold.

And if you want, I can go around smashing heaters. I only take 15%

I'm in the Heating and A/C biz. The more extreme the temps the better.

Oh ya, prey on the unfortunate souls who's furnace breaks down.........no wonder karma kicks you in the arse! :D

I have sad story about my experience with the subject. Follow me back to a time not too long ago.......

2005; early spring bought house and previous owner stated the furnace was recently serviced and had a year warranty.
2006; Fall, furnace stopped working, called repair man on listed warranty thingy. He shows up and says "your warranty is expired" $500 for a new circuit board.
2007; One week before Xmas furnace blowing cold air, called different repair man. "It is your ignition element, will clean and replace........oops sorry can't touch your furnace. Heat Exchanger is cracked. Here we have a nice inexpensive furnace for only $1900.00. ......oh no..........sorry you don't qualify for credit, sorry, Merry Xmas though and congrats on your 1 1/2 month old son!"
2008; Found a heating guy through a friend, after using electric space heaters and the wood stove, got new $1800 furnace second week of January, three month credit plan. Had to sell my Tube bender to help pay for furnace, and sacrifice a major part of every paycheck to pay for it for three months.

Karma better kick someone in the arse on that one............... :greensmok

BTW no snow in the Denver metro area yet..................just windy. Must be just for all you shady Colorado Springs guys :shhh:

Sorry to hear that an yes I'm the bearer of bad news more often than not. I get to be on the receiving end of alot of venom when a customer finds out that they need expensive repairs. On the other hand I've been on a lot of "Second Opinion" calls and found nothing wrong with equipment that someone else has claimed needed major repairs or replacement. Yes there are shaddy techs/companies out there and my trade is no different than any other, auto repair shops, doctors, chiropractors, lawn service companies, etc,etc,etc.

A little bit of advice for ya.
Replace/clean your filer every 30 days (religously!!) regardless of whats on the packaging.
Buy a carbon monoxcide detector and plug it in in your bedroom. Nighthawk is the only brand I trust.
Use a programmable thermostat.
If you suspect that your getting a raw deal...GET SECOND OPINION!!! And before he leaves, make sure you let the service guy know too. But!!!! if the second opinion confirms the initial diagnosis is confirmed give the first guy/gal a chance to make the repair.

Bottom line:
I would much rather earn your trust and your long term business than get into your pocketbook one time. Alot of other contractors feel the same way and unfortunely some don't. I stand behind my work and won't drag my famliy name through the mud for a buck and that's why I put my family name on my business.

I don't "prey" on others.

I don't "prey" on others.

It is just the way you said it that sounded funny, like a arms deal hoping for a war of death and destruction. :laugh3:

....just giving you grief Frank

I know that my luck was really bad end of '07 beginning of '08, our boy was born, financial setbacks, wife not working for two months. What pissed me off was the guy called out right before xmas, seemed very happy to condemn my furnace, but when it came to light I didn't have the credit to warrant there credit policy I felt the guy was; "......oops sorry can't help you, and I know you need it. Don't freeze to death, Tootles!

The second guy was awesome and he confirmed that it was true and told me I should have called him earlier but I was trying to secure funds. He made a personal arrangement to get my house and family heat again which was beyond the call of duty. If any one needs a Heating and A/C guy in the Denver Metro area let me know, he was awesome! Unless of course Frank is willing to commute to Denver to work :D

Again, for northern Denver Metro NO SNOW this morning.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to ask. How good is an ARMSTRONG brand Frank, since you are the resident Heating expert?

I religiously swap out the filters in the cold months every three, summer the heater never kicks on. Now you tell me monthly, hmmm?

Hmmm... when I bought my house 4 years ago I had a HVAC guy out to inspect our furnace and he told me my heat exchanger is cracked. I installed a couple of Nighthawk CO detectors and have been using the furnace with no problem. I probably shouldn't be gambling, but I was quoted $3500 for a new furnace. Mine is in a crawl space so I get to pay more, yay! Even with thtat, it sounds like I need to get some more quotes.

I'm a bit further south than Skully and no snow here either, just had a lot of wind...

North Fountian recieved a light dusting, but there was 1/8" of snow in the grass of my office building here on Ft. Carson. My buddy who lives up off GOG came into work with a little over 2" on his truck.

Oh I forgot to ask. How good is an ARMSTRONG brand Frank, since you are the resident Heating expert?

I religiously swap out the filters in the cold months every three, summer the heater never kicks on. Now you tell me monthly, hmmm?
Not bad. Kinda middle of the road. There's better and there's a whole lot worse.

Hmmm... when I bought my house 4 years ago I had a HVAC guy out to inspect our furnace and he told me my heat exchanger is cracked. I installed a couple of Nighthawk CO detectors and have been using the furnace with no problem. I probably shouldn't be gambling, but I was quoted $3500 for a new furnace. Mine is in a crawl space so I get to pay more, yay! Even with thtat, it sounds like I need to get some more quotes.

I'm a bit further south than Skully and no snow here either, just had a lot of wind...
$3500!?!?! Holy Crap! I'm in the wrong city! That's fookin' highway robbery!

Down in SEC, we got our first snow, but didnt stick- that is cool, cause it means we are on the right track!!
Dont like working on the jeep in the cold, but I do like the fun that comes with the Snow and Cold weather.
"You can always add clothes and blankets in the winter, but you can only take off so many clothes in the summer before you get your picture taken and fingerprints done"

We replaced ours the week before x-mas 2 winters ago. The old one was heating, but "cycling" every few minutes, and the differnce between the repair and the replacement with a higher efficiencey furnace was in the $500 range.. I figure it will pay for the difference before the end of this winter.

The installers were great. Very professional and honest. they only ran into one problem...when they finished, the igniter would not work. It was snowing out and predicted to be the coldest night of the year.

They did not have one on the truck or in their inventory at the shop (they said there should have been one) so they called a competior, got them to come in after hours and sell them the part so we would have heat.

I called the owner the next day and asked if I could do something for the guys that had worked so hard on it (they would not accept a tip the night before...saying it was against company policy). I ended up sending the whole crew lunch from a local BBQ place as a thank you.

Since then, they have been by quarterly to check the furnace and just sit around and BS for a bit. They never charge me for it...just saying that the owner wants to make sure that everything is well. I have recommended them to many others here in town just because of the professionalism that they have shown.

So, yes. There are people out there that will show the professionalism and good customer service. I am glad to hear that you are one of these Frank.

FWIW....they did all this for $1100.00.

Jim

We replaced ours the week before x-mas 2 winters ago. The old one was heating, but "cycling" every few minutes, and the differnce between the repair and the replacement with a higher efficiencey furnace was in the $500 range.. I figure it will pay for the difference before the end of this winter.

The installers were great. Very professional and honest. they only ran into one problem...when they finished, the igniter would not work. It was snowing out and predicted to be the coldest night of the year.

They did not have one on the truck or in their inventory at the shop (they said there should have been one) so they called a competior, got them to come in after hours and sell them the part so we would have heat.

I called the owner the next day and asked if I could do something for the guys that had worked so hard on it (they would not accept a tip the night before...saying it was against company policy). I ended up sending the whole crew lunch from a local BBQ place as a thank you.

Since then, they have been by quarterly to check the furnace and just sit around and BS for a bit. They never charge me for it...just saying that the owner wants to make sure that everything is well. I have recommended them to many others here in town just because of the professionalism that they have shown.

So, yes. There are people out there that will show the professionalism and good customer service. I am glad to hear that you are one of these Frank.

FWIW....they did all this for $1100.00.

Jim

cool story. Frank is one of "those guys" too, and has done work for both me and my father -- if anyone needs HVAC work in El Paso County, FrankZ is the man -- and Frank, come get your gears before I sell them on ebay (I must not be one of those guys)...:shhh::wierd:

edit -- to stay on topic, around 3" of the white stuff between CS and Monument this morning!

-- and Frank, come get your gears before I sell them on ebay (I must not be one of those guys)...:shhh::wierd:

Your bad.........:twak:......bad XJ Grin,

BTW where is the "chew bubble gum & kick ass, all out of bubble gum." go? Should do a quote from Big Trouble Little China, "Black blood of the earth. You mean oil? NO, black blood of the earth!"

edit -- to stay on topic, around 3" of the white stuff between CS and Monument this morning!

Through the night Little rain, lots of wind knocking down all the leaves FINALLY!

NO Snow, little cold, but warming up. ........must be a S. Colorado thing.

ah, it was you... I couldn't remember who it was that complemented me on my Rowdy Roddy Piper quotes!:looser:

ah, it was you... I couldn't remember who it was that complemented me on my Rowdy Roddy Piper quotes!:looser:

John Carpenter in general has some of the best, just out there movies.....Kurt Russel was just hilarious in the Big Trouble, Little China............that movie has some of the best quotes ever!

One of my favs;
INdeed Video

They Live! with Rowdy, the best scene was the fight/ wrestling over the pair of sunglasses!

For those that have no clue what we are talking about;

Sunglasses Fight

Bubble gum quote

Back