• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Fire Extinguisher and where to mount in a 97+

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97, so room is TIGHT between door and seat.

Also, what kind do you guys recommend and what size and why? I am new to all this. I have a 4 door.

I searched and didn't find any RECENT threads. One had it mounted down to left of drivers feet as a foot rest.... sounded cool but no pics. Any other ideas?

Thanks alot!
Jason

P.S. I think I am going to ask for this for Christmas, so I really wanna keep the cost down around the $50 mark if possible.

Red97XJ said:
I have a 97, so room is TIGHT between door and seat.

Also, what kind do you guys recommend and what size and why? I am new to all this. I have a 4 door.

I searched and didn't find any RECENT threads. One had it mounted down to left of drivers feet as a foot rest.... sounded cool but no pics. Any other ideas?

Thanks alot!
Jason

P.S. I think I am going to ask for this for Christmas, so I really wanna keep the cost down around the $50 mark if possible.
Which extinguisher? Biggest you can get... and better make that two! I'm not kidding.
At this point I carry a long and skinny extinguisher between the driver's seat and the door (when you remove the plastic trim you gain a lot of room). I have another extinguisher easily accessible in the cargo area. Why do you ask? The first one by the door is so that I can get at an extinguisher without having to dig for it, second is cause the first is ussually not enough. Last year coming back from Rubicon a buddy of mine had a small fire in the engine bay. It took three of those skinny extinguishers to put it out but we have saved the vehicle (IIRC the final score was: couple melted wires and a fuel line that needed replacing: and the fuel line was the original culprit).
Anyways, the extinguisher should be easily accessible (30 seconds or less) and it should be as big as you can get and there should be more than on.

dont have any information to as what kind, but in the cargo space you have all kinds of corners. i.e. on the floor pushed up against the back seat, on the wall with a mount, or under the back seat

a_hiatt said:
or under the back seat
Yikes!!! By the time you get it out your passenger will be done roasting marshmallows!! Also what if your back door gets stuck? what if you load something on top of the back seat? Same thing with cargo area: first extinguisher should always be within arms reach.

here how mine is mounted, and the reason why? once a 4.0L blew up on me in my YJ few years ago, all the oil came out and caught on fire, if i did not have one at that time(and i admitt i only had it for looks) i would have been fuc*ed:) so, get one big one. And if you see a truck/car on fire, use it:)
here is the pic...
ext.jpg

I have one of the small ones mounted on the floor directly below the front edge of the drivers seat. Very easy to get to & visible so I don't forget to check it. I carry a larger one in the rear cargo area. JIM.

Purple, could you post a larger pic so we can see it better? K, thanks :laugh3:

I have on the side of the front seat. Now trying to think of another place to put one in the back. Space is kinda limited right now back there.

at first i read that title and thought: "what a retarded question," because it sounded silly. sorry for thinking that. a more appropriate question it seems, is "where should i mount an adequate fire extinguisher?"

between the seat and the door is definitely not big enough for a good size extinguisher. i have WJ seats in mine, so the room there is practically zilch. if someone were to have power seats, under the front edge of the seat might be good, provided the seat hardware won't hit it. i cant actually move my seats all the way forward, but if i did, that might be a problem.

also, like was addressed before, if you can fit one between the seat and door sill, you should have a backup. the cargo area seems like the only usable space but not very efficient in a real emergency. maybe along the cieling above the back doors (so you don't have to bonk, just the rear passengers).

one more thing that hasn't been addressed is halon extinguishers. i don't have one because i can't afford one. these are the type that they use on aircraft. they are only available recycled because of EPA regs. they are bad for the atmosphere apparently, but so is a fire if your jeep burns to the ground. i think they are about $80. if you have a jeep that is fairly valuable (mine's not), then you may want one of these. they work a little better, but the best part is the medium is non-corrosive. a normal extinguisher could ruin lots of wiring and some of the other metals under your hood, or so i've read.

i haven't had to use mine, maybe somebody that has could chime in if there has been any detrimental effects after repairing obvious fire damage.

Kejtar said:
You better make sure you're upwind if you discharge one of those!

x2

They work great for areas, where oxygen breathing mammals are not around.

A regular ABC fire extinguisher is what you want. Not as corrosive as a PKP extinguisher.

Erik

Trailbst said:
x2

They work great for areas, where oxygen breathing mammals are not around.

A regular ABC fire extinguisher is what you want. Not as corrosive as a PKP extinguisher.

Erik
I 2nd. Don't use halon. A BC, which is sodium bicorbonate, is fine. An ABC, which is mono ammonium phosphate, is OK but can be lightly corosive and a pain in the A$$ to clean up. I've used a BC in a small truck fire and it worked well. Clean up was the LAST thing on my mind however!

as in don't breath in the crap that comes out of it.

since it is made for airplane cockpits, it has to be safe. the MSDS i read for it said that concentrations over 4% can cause dizziness, impaired coordination and cardiac effects. sounds like being drunk.

but seriously, it takes a concentration of 5% to kill a fire, and to have that level of saturation in the air you would have to discharge several in a closed room.

another benefit i just remembered was that you can use it, and if there is still some left, then you don't have to necessarily recharge it.

but whatever, it is 3 to one against me so far, and they ARE way more expensive, so...do as you wish.

Halon, and newer substitutes work by stopping the chemical chain reaction that is the fourth element required to sustain fire.

Halon does not displace the oxygen (smother) a fire, it works chemically to stop the oxidation.

It is only effective in closed spaces (computer equipment closets, aircraft electronic compartments, etc) probably wouldn't do much on a burning Jeep in the open.

Halon was banned not so much for the environment, but for the fact that it may cause cancer.

also, with a standard dry chemical extinguisher, pull it out of it's holder every once in a while and tap it upside down to keep it from caking up.

BCParker said:
also, with a standard dry chemical extinguisher, pull it out of it's holder every once in a while and tap it upside down to keep it from caking up.
Or wheel it often enough to shake it all around :D

ok... Gotta put in my .02...

I work for a fire protection place and have acess to all the info and uses of FE's in various situations.

The best kind for your vehicle would be an ABC multipurpose drychem.
(get one rated at least 1A: 10BC) That way you cover everything in your jeep as well as surroundings. (saw a jeep with a fuel leak almost start a brush fire)

Halon is NON toxic if it has been kept to EPA regs and has been filtered and recovered in the proper manner. The only way halon is harmful is in large doses in closed areas. There are two kinds that were used in extinguishing portables and systems. 1211 and 1301 are the designations with 1211 being used in most of your hand portables. I have used several halons with much success and have one in my jeep as a back up to my primary. As for mounting...... Good luck!!

Back