• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Volume Oil Pump

Trail-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought a high volume oil pump for my 1990 XJ with a 4.0L and i want to know if it will fit before i put it in? anyone installed one of these before? i am sure that bit will but want to hear if anyone has done this! THANX

Chris

I just installed a new Melling High volume pump in mine, you have to check clearances with the oil pan, first off you wanna make sure the pickup isn't touching the bottom of the pan, and the pickup tube isnt contacting the side of the oilpan, if it is, very carefully bend it untill you gain clearances. Next, I had a clearance issue between the top outside edge of the oil pump and the oil pan, I just took a ball peen hammer and made a slight indent where it was making contact. It may have been ok with the gasket, as I checked all my clearances without a gasket in place, and It really only needed about 3/16" of clearancing. If you have any other questions lemme know.

HTH

Josh

ummm, if you bought the correct one for your rig then yes. I just put one in my '90 and it works great. Might want to think about the rear main while you have the oil pan dropped..... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Back